Ford Focus Forum banner

Intake silencer delete - diy

31K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  soccercag15@gmail.com 
#1 ·
So as I have been trolling through the forum awaiting my car, I came across a very interesting post on another forum. Apparently we have a silencer tube under the plastic radiator cover that can be easily removed. Also, the plastic below. needs to be trimmed back so that the airbox snorkels get fresh cold air.

Here is the link for a visual. All the information is within the first 5-6 pages.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297795

(mods, I do understand if you want to remove the link)

#3 ·
im curious as to how this would work on the ST. I realize the air box is the same, however i pulled back the top shroud, and all that is behind is the bottom flap they talk about, but no snorkel or silencer that i can see. Only 2 openings for the runners going to the air box. Maybe the ST doesn't have this?

#5 ·
it makes sense, for the reason of having a lot more power to feed. However, taking that flap out the bottom, may provide some more cool air to the box. I dont think it will improve anything else though, and as we all know that area at driving speeds is already going to be filled with cool air under there. Im going to take a second look tonight while installing my mount to see if i see anything else in there. Would help if there was a better write up on this DIY tho, as the pictures do not show where the snorkel actually is.

#7 ·
in addition to this, looks like in the FRPP products that will be coming, a snorkel for the ST is shown on the board from SEMA.

#8 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm Dyn085 from FF. If you have questions about this mod, feel free to ask. I haven't been over here much, but I never thought of adding FJ to my Tapatalk.

The snorkel is directly underneath the plastic shroud that attaches to the radiator support. When you remove the four push pins, disconnect your hood release and pull the shroud up. You will see the snorkel underneath on your car and can compare what you see to my pics. If I remember correctly there are two push pins on the drivers side and one in the center.

Fwiw, if your car does primarily in-town driving, this is the best bang-for your buck mod you can do (when combined with a K&N drop-in filter). You will get better mileage, throttle response, and sound. It won't sound like RACECAR, but imho sounds just right.

Don't forget to remove the silencer that is under your airbox. After you pull the airbox up you will see it mounted to the frame with one bolt. Remove that from the car and block off the hole in the airbox to keep engine heat out.

#9 ·
Well, i have verified on my '13 ST that there is in fact no snorkel. It is just open once it goes to the rad support.

As for the silencer, i will check into that

#17 ·
Removal of the snorkel only adds power in conjunction with the installation of an aftermarket drop-in filter. Doing the delete with the OEM filter will only slightly increase intake noise. Using a drop-in without the delete will increase throttle response but will not add power and I don't know about fuel mileage. Snorkel delete and drop-in will net around 8hp/8tq (iirc) and gave me about 2mpg more on my commute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.