Ford Focus Forum banner

CAI comparison project

13K views 151 replies 19 participants last post by  Ronnie@MMotorworks 
#1 · (Edited)
We are looking into doing a possible comparison of the top CAI systems currently on the market for the 2012-13 Focus 2.0 Duratec. We will obtain the kits, get some dyno time setup, and get a comparison of the dyno graphs. All the results would be from the same car, on the same day, on the same dyno. What we are looking for is to gauge interest in people reserving these intake systems that will be up for sale after the dyno test at greatly discounted pricing.

Right now, we think these kits would need to be included. Please feel free to share any others.

K&N
Injen
FSWerks
AEM

So, what we need before we can proceed is some reservations of the gently used intake kits that will be for sale. Let me know who can put their name in for a kit.

#3 ·
It's all good, hopefully this research will be of use to people who purchase the new Focus. We just need at least a couple people to reserve a kit, then I believe we can get this program rollin'.

#4 ·
I am interested in Air/Fuel ratio changes, if any, on each intake more than power. They are all tubes with filters on the end of them and they should produce almost the same power, within a couple HP. Injen claims they can keep A/F ratios in the safe range with their MR technology, I want to see if that is the case.

#6 ·
We will definitely be logging A/F to see if they truly can keep it in a safe range for daily driving. Some of these companies lean the car out, grab the few horsepower, and leave you not knowing that's how they achieved their results. That can be dangerous. This has been seen on the newer 5.0 Mustangs too.

TeamDFL, PM coming your way as soon as I get a response from one vendor.

#7 · (Edited)
Pricing is as follows on the 3 kits I am doing. I might include Injen if someone commits to buying at 10% below retail + S&H.

Steeda $269 + S&H
FSWerks $164 +S&H
K&N $251 + S&H teamDFL
Injen $225 + S&H (Possibly including this if someone commits)

Let me know if you have interest in a kit that will be brand new other than 3 dyno pulls. First come, first served.

#9 ·
Any more help on this? Couple more people get in, and we are good to go.

#10 ·
My friends and I ran tests on the dyno-bench. All cold inlets showed no increase in power. The reason - bad cold inlet separated from the engine compartment and this greatly increases the temperature. High levels of performance we were able to remove the filter K&N put into regular box.

#12 ·
It's a shame AEM won't be included in the test, since it's the only true "CAI" of those listed.

#13 ·
I can include AEM, if I can get someone to jump on the kit after its used.

#14 ·
Unfortunately I'm already committed to the K&N, and have put about 11K miles on it so far.

Regardless, I appreciate your commitment to do this project and helping out the Focus community.

#15 ·
No problem, thanks for the support. Hopefully we can get this rolling soon. Just a couple more reservations and I will get everything setup.

#16 ·
If you can get the aem in blue (not sure if they make it) I would definitely be on that! Let me know

#19 ·
Congrats on the new Focus first of all! The kits still available are Steeda, FSWerks, Injen, and AEM.

@OneFastBear - The AEM would have to be powdercoated blue, which would be an option, but would add to the cost. Let me know!

#21 ·
Hmmmm

Thank you for the welcome first of all....now to the decision....

It looks like the AEM is going to be accounted for soon, so that looks like its down to FSWerks, Steeda, and Injen....

Give me an hour or so to think on which one and I will let you know, but I am definatley taking one

They will come with the instructions correct?

Thanks!

#22 ·
Yes, they will come with all the instructions and packaging as if you were buying it new.

@OneFastBear What sort of blue are you wanting? Just wanting to make sure I get it as close as I can for you. I will PM you details.

#23 ·
Well my car is deep impact blue. That would be great. But just the standard aem blue is fine for me.

#26 · (Edited)
Update!

Steeda $269 + S&H
FSWerks $164 + S&H
K&N $251 + S&H teamDFL
Injen $225 + S&H 87astro
AEM powdercoated blue $385 + S&H One Fast Bear

#30 ·
Sure, let me know what you want. I am doing this for you guys on here, so I want you to have your preference.

#32 ·
I figured the Steeda and FSWerks would be first to go. :dunno:

Oh yes, BTW, for those who help out the community and reserve a kit, I will have special pricing on Magnaflow kits to go along with your new intake if you desire to bundle them together.

#33 ·
This test will NOT move forward without FSWerks' kit involved, even if I have to sit on it until someone decides its the kit they want. Steeda on the other hand, being that its got a 20-25% premium attached to it, it may be left out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.