Aku's Fleet of Vehicles (This thread will be pic heavy) - Page 3
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack Winter 2015

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Aku's Fleet of Vehicles (This thread will be pic heavy)

Something about VRT's & AWD have me pitching a tent.

-Matt
    Boosted '00/'02 CD Silver SVT Sedan #4628
    Bagged on HRE 501's..

PART OUT: '02 SVT | FOR SALE: SVT/Sedan Appearance Cleanout
    SLAMMED SEDAN CREW #13 *Click Here*

2. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

TEAM Member

Long weekend. I was experirmenting with trying to get my oil temps up because I was having issues getting oil to operating temp. In the 50 degree weather here in MI with the oil cooler doing an extremely good job I was struggling to get the oil temps above 180 even in stop and go traffic. I had cut out the filled in holes of the drivers bumper vent so the oil cooler would get air flow. As an experiment I electrical taped the vent back shut. This seems to work because even on the highway I'm able to keep the temps at 190 ish cruising and once on surface streets it'll be in the lower 200 range. Going to source a new driver vent un-cut out and have one of each as I'm sure in the summer I'll want the cut out one again.

Once I got that under control I proceeded to strap the gopro to the car and take some various video clips. Right after my last pull I get a beep from the dash to check the coolant. I pulled over and sure enough I'm low. like coolant ball empty low. I happened to have a gal of water in the back of the car so I dumped that in and it just ran right through and came out below the car. I caught it fast enough and no temps had spiked so I let it cool down a bit. Dumped as much water in as I could as fast as I could and babied the car the 3 minutes back to my gf parents house and shut er down. Again no oil temps or anything spiked. Got the car up in the air. Apparently one of the coolant hoses we used to drain the coolant during the turbo install had the hose clamp removed from the nipple on the other end of the damn hose that we didn't disconnect. I didn't realize my buddy had done that so I didn't put it back. Just blew the hose off. Super simple fix and I was up and running the next morning after the dealer opened and I got another gal of G12.

So that problem solved, yesterday I was able to get some dyno time just to do some power pulls.

First pull we did we forgot the A/F tail pipe sniffer guy. Second pull we did and the A/F readings were a little wonky. It held like 13 ish up until what I believe from, what I remember, was like 4600 rpm (didn't realize till I left that graph accidentally got printed out with time on the x-axis). But then after dropped down to what we'd expect to see in a turbo car of 11ish. Unsure why that would be. I did a few pulls the previous day to make sure no damage occured from the coolant debacle of the previous day and everything felt fine that morning however while on the way to the dyno I would notice some weird feeling in the pedal/the motor in like partial boost at lower rpm. I have never experienced knock before so I can't say if it was that or not. Could be the motor mounts going and the motor just rotating. Honestly I'm not sure. No idea if its why the a/f reads weird or not either. The guy at the shop says he things there may have been some timing pulled as evident by the graphs looking not so smooth in the lower end. We didn't do a 3rd pull for these reasons just to be safe. I haven't gotten into boost since then either and have just drove the car. Want to make sure all is well before boosting again so I don't break anything. Anyway on the graphs. Please give me some input.

Pull 1 255awhp/245awtq

Pull 2 242awhp/239awtq (ended this pull a little early due to the weird A/F readings. Also as mentioned above apologies I didn't notice this got printed out with time on x-axis until I was like half hour away from the shop)

Seems fairly reasonable power though. Stock numbers are 247/236 crank and reported average stock wheel numbers at all 4 is around the 190 area. Math indicates about 23% loss. So HPAs 350 at 23% loss is around 270hp. Factor in Mustang dynos generally reading a bit low (so I hear) and the fact that my car just turned over 150k miles on Saturday I think that's pretty good gains.
    '04 VW R32 - Turbo Toy Car
    '04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro - Daily

I

Are you running a thermostat in the sandwich plate or cooler? If not, I 100% suggest one. Unless this was a track-only car, you really need one. Come cooler weather the car will never get up to temp even with that vent completely blocked.

Any way you can work on the tune file? The hesitation you're feeling sounds like it being way too lean. If you're targeting 11:1 at max boost and WOT, I would expect to see the AFRs below 14 as soon as you get out of vacuum and by a few pounds in already be sub-13:1. I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing 13:1 at WOT or any more than a few pounds of boost. Where your graph starts to dip AFRs around 1sec into the pull it should continue right down to 11:0 or so.

Are you still running a cat? That would and could affect your AFR readings at the tail pipe and may have it show lean by a half point. If that's the case...you're not too bad, but still a bit lean through most the rev range.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST
    1985 Nimbus Grey Merkur XR4Ti

Have a Focus ST? Check out FJ's partner site, Focus ST Network

TEAM Member

Yes my sandwhich plate is thermostated. I do think I hooked it up backwards to my liking though. (I mis read something and hooked up my outlet to my inlet and resulted in trying to pump oil up through the exchanger rather than have gravity pull it through.) easy fix next oil change to swap the lines around.

One thing I don't know if I mentioned here as I'm just copying / pasteing from my thread on VWVortex. I deleted the OEM oil cooler when I did this kit. The OEM unit flows coolant through the cooler to help keep oil temps down. As a bonus since the coolant heats up much quicker is also acts as an assist to warm the cold oil up to operating temp. I deleted it due to adding the oil cooler and the OEM R unit is too thick to run both. I'm trying to also source the older 12v VR unit which is thinner so I can run OEM and the aftermarket coolers. This should also help keep the temps up to operating temp.

edit: Realized I didn't answer all the questions lol.

No I can't personally tweak the tune. I can have it tweaked though I'm sure. I am in the process of getting access to a vag-com (data logger/scan tool) and a buddy who is more experienced than I and logging and what not to have a closer look.

I am running factory cats/exhaust which is what the kit was designed for. A couple of my friends seem to agree that the cat would effect tail pipe readings but when I called the shop back and asked if that would make a difference he made it seem like he tunes cars with cats with a tail pipe sniffer all the time. Regardless of it being a little lean in the lower rpm or not the fact that it goes rich (or rather to a good target) so dramatically higher up still makes no sense.
    Last edited by Aku; Sep 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM.

TEAM Member

Update.

I got my ECU back on Monday finally. Car has been running fine since then. I have not had the time yet to do any data logging with the tweaks to the tune but I'll be trying to do that as soon as I can.

Also I have purchased a winter daily vehicle. The lady friend and I bought together and she gets to rock the car out in the summer so I'll still be driving the R a lot in the nicer weather but I've decided to park the R over winter. Trying to get 7qts of oil up to temp in my less than 5mi drive to work is too much of a hassle and I don't want to risk anything over the winter. I have full confidence the car would be perfectly fine over winter and if my commute was a good half hour or so I'd probably just drive it but oh well. Life worked out good to pick up a 2nd vehicle again so I did lol.

I present the daily scrub

2004 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 6MT

TEAM Member

Holy crap I haven't been on here in a long time. This thread requires an update. I'll try and get on here after work and get this thing up to speed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123