How is the ST in the snow? - Page 4
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Rock Auto

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: How is the ST in the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by poondobber View Post
    I just picked up a set of snow tires from tirerack. Ordered them at 10:00AM on Tues. They arrived mounted and balanced on Wednesday at 12:00.

The ST with summer tires was pretty awful in the snow. Ill report back after snowpocalypse.
    I predict that you will be amazed at how good it is.

Tasca Auto Group, Here to make sure you get the best deals and an unsurpassed level of service.
    1-800-598-1484

2. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by hEaT View Post
    This. All Seasons really are "No Seasons". Think of them like sneakers. You can go shovel snow in sneakers, but your feet will be cold and you'll be slipping around. You can go to the beach in sneakers, but you won't be very comfortable. You probably have a set of boots for the heavy rain and snow and probably a set of sandals for the beach? Both do the job they intended to do. This is just like tires. Summers are sandals and will give you the best and safest grip in the warmth. Snows will do the same in the cold and snow. All Seasons will work in all conditions, but be mediocre at everything they do.

For a 100% street car, spending $$ on the absolute best summer tires I don't think makes much sense. Think of how often you are at the limit of traction driving around in July. Not much right? Then think of the winter. How often are you at the limit of your tires in the winter? Every time you drive in the snow, right? That's where I put my money. Every time I drive in the snow, there is at least one point where the front tires are slipping or the rear gets a little out. I am using 100% of the available grip every storm. Snow tires are worth every single penny.
    Well said Joe. Another way i look at it is with bicycles. You can have a hybrid bike that will work off road and on road but do mediocre at both or you can have a dedicated race bike for the road and a real mountain bike for the trails. Speaking of which i gotta get riding again.
    2003 Black SVT: CFM STS, CFM TB, Magnaflow catback. 87k miles and needing cosmetic work
    1988 IROC-Z camaro: 355 TPI, Comp cam xfi268, 1.6 comp magnum roller rockers, Speed pro forged pistons, Dart pro1 aluminum heads, Arizona speed and marine runners, Edelbrock intake base, 24# injectors, Dyno Don headers, Flowmaster 3" exhaust, TKO 500 5 speed, 3.27 posi
    (406 hp, 415ftlbs on the engine dyno with a carb. Tuned and waiting on chassis dyno)

I've got a fever, and the only cure is... poondobber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Tasca View Post
    I predict that you will be amazed at how good it is.
    Unfortunately no snow tires are going to push an ST through 2 feet of snow. By the time I got out of the driveway the roads were pretty clear. However, the snow tires are way better just in the cold and wet.
    2015 No Frills Performance Blue ST

5. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately no snow tires are going to push an ST through 2 feet of snow. By the time I got out of the driveway the roads were pretty clear. However, the snow tires are way better just in the cold and wet.
    Yeah, depends on the snow too. Obviously two feet of wet snow are going to defeat pretty much any low front drive car regardless of tires. I've actually made it through snow deep enough that more was going over the hood and roof than under the car but that was powder and I ended up turning around and going home because all the main roads were gridlocked with other traffic.

-Steve
    Tasca Auto Group, Here to make sure you get the best deals and an unsurpassed level of service.
    1-800-598-1484

I just picked up a set of snow tires from tirerack. Ordered them at 10:00AM on Tues. They arrived mounted and balanced on Wednesday at 12:00.

The ST with summer tires was pretty awful in the snow. Ill report back after snowpocalypse.

Did the tyreshop..throw in a snowplow.
    Last edited by Apex clipper; Jan 28, 2016 at 4:29 PM. Reason: It's plough.BTW.
    "There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased that line."

Oscar Levant.

I've got a fever, and the only cure is... poondobber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apex clipper View Post
    Did the tyreshop..throw in a snowplow.
    Are "tyres" any better in the snow? Maybe I should try a set.
    2015 No Frills Performance Blue ST

Are "tyres" any better in the snow? Maybe I should try a set.
    Probably.
    "There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased that line."

Oscar Levant.

TEAM Member

Super late reply, but I haven't read much about driving technique, such as short shifting, which helps immensely when driving a car with a standard transmission in winter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234