2012 - 2015 Focus Custom Tune
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Senior TEAM Member

Default 2012 - 2015 Focus Custom Tune

I do Custom Tuning using the SCT Tuning Software , I have a great tune that does very good on the MK3 Focus both the DCT and 5sp

On the DCT I have been able to cure the shudder on about 98% of the DCT Tunes I have done

You will see better over all driveability , quicker shifts , most say better MPG , more mid range HP/TQ

I charge 462.00 for the xcal4 Flasher , Full Custom Tune ( not a canned tune called a custom tune ) Free Tune updates as you add more NA mods , My datalogging services where we will datalog to make your tune a true custom tune , shipping and paypal

By doing a custom tune you can get the tune tailored to your Focus how you drive and how you want things to work

I think I have this in the correct place this time

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

I change diapers now focusownerskid's Avatar

Default Re: 2012 - 2015 Focus Custom Tune

On the flex fuel cars, do you build a more aggressive E85 file and less aggressive for 93?

If so, can you float between them just by filling the tank like stock? Does it do fine with blends of each? Or do you have to flash it for each fuel?

- Drew
    ///type dRew

2013 Sonata 2.0T / 2002 Jetta 1.8T

TEAM Member

He doesn't do aggressive E85 tunes for pump fuel, due to the variability in what you get (E50 - E85).

Senior TEAM Member

I tend to stay away from E85 because of how inconstant it is from the pump

Tom

So, on flex fuel cars, do you lose that function?

You could always tune for low content E85(E50ish) and just have left some peformance on the table with higher contents. The car has a flex fuel sensor, you can tune around the ethanol content with the sensor. It's not an all or nothing thing.

I realize you are one of the only tuners for the new platform that isn't ST, but I have to say, not covering E85 while having a flex fuel sensor on the car seems like a huge opportunity loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor26 View Post
    He doesn't do aggressive E85 tunes for pump fuel, due to the variability in what you get (E50 - E85).
    Thanks for jumping in there, but again, the flex fuel sensor on the car reads ethanol content. The tune could be varied for infinitely variable amounts, like the factory does.

- Drew
    Last edited by focusownerskid; Aug 8, 2016 at 1:17 PM.
    ///type dRew

Senior TEAM Member

Actually it is an on or off , In the tune there is only one place to set E fuels settings and it doesnt take into account if its e85 or e85+/- what ever you actually get and the E content is only part of it what about the e85 that was mixed with 80-83 octane ... yep lower octane over all so that another problem

I like drum e85 and I run it , I always have 2-3 drums of it in my shop for me but I wont run pump e85

I havent had maybe 4-5 ask for a e tune on the MK3 and have done over 300 of them now

Tom

On the factory cars, that can't be right though?

Because factory cars you can mix any amount you like and it will adjust(1/2 tank 87 and 1/2 tank of E85 etc). Is the limitation solely due to the SCT software?

- Drew
    ///type dRew

TEAM Member

Tom would have to answer the details of factory adjustments/tuning capabilities, in general what you need to remember is that a sensor in these can give the ECU an idea of the fuel it'll be seeing soon (with the one way fuel system) vs. some aftermarket setups that use a sensor on the return line to see what the engine is actually using right now with more accuracy.

Fine tuning is done like regular fuel adjustments, from O2 sensor & knock sensor inputs. That was all the sensor input on earlier flex fuel cars.

Kinda like a tune for 93 octane, optimized for operation with that specific fuel the system can still make some adjustments off of that depending on the settings used.

When you "tune" for E85 you'd want drum fuel for consistency, fine tuning from datalogs would be rather difficult if the fuel was constantly changing.

To accept any fuel (flex fuel) for regular use, the stock "adequate" tuning & adjustments are what you want anyways.

Senior TEAM Member

The Ford Focus that has Flex Fuel capabilities has a sensor for E fuel , when the sensor indicates X % of E Fuel it switches from 14.64 A/F stoich which is the base target for Short Turm Fuel Trim to 9.00 A/F this is a set trigger , It is either on or off , I do not know the % that triggers the E changes I am guessing some where in the e60 range

Once the E is triggered the timing is a blanket adder to the borderline timing tables

The Ford Focus system from what I have seen is a on or off system and it doesnt tailor the fuel or timing to the % of E fuel in the tank only thats its Gasoline or E

I have looked at this in the IDS , SCT , Diablosport and have never see anything that is in the software or in the datalogging that indicates % that the sensor can read

Tom

Interesting that the factory system is rather 'dumb' as it were.

That sucks. Could of been quite a useful tuning tool.

- Drew
    ///type dRew