New owner of nice old focus needs bumper advice
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Default New owner of nice old focus needs bumper advice

Hi, this is my first post to focaljet.

I am the new owner of a 2001 ZX3. It's in great mechanical condition, it just passed the Maryland Safety Inspection and has about $1300 (wholesale price) of parts installed by pros. I just fixed the only rattle (hatch latch). It's got the Power and Premium group options and the manual sun roof. I love this car. However . . .

It has 17 years of door and fender dings, and the front and back bumper covers are cracked and faded. It probably wasn't washed in years until a few days before I received it. Someone gave it a quick mechanical buff that showed some potential to shine, but come spring I'll enjoy a couple of weekends bringing out whatever's left of the original paint.

That brings me to the bumper covers. I've googled around and see that there are lots of body kits available at fire sale prices. In 2001 I'd have been into that, now I'm more interested in restoring it to the original look. Someone on eBay is selling new OEM front bumpers covers painted to spec for about $260. I didn't see any pre-painted back covers. Is that the best I can do? How about used front and back covers? If anyone has them lying around it seems this would be the place. My ZX3 is Twilight Blue. What should I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

Rookie

Default Re: New owner of nice old focus needs bumper advice

Quote Originally Posted by batcap View Post
    Hi, this is my first post to focaljet.

I am the new owner of a 2001 ZX3. It's in great mechanical condition, it just passed the Maryland Safety Inspection and has about $1300 (wholesale price) of parts installed by pros. I just fixed the only rattle (hatch latch). It's got the Power and Premium group options and the manual sun roof. I love this car. However . . .

It has 17 years of door and fender dings, and the front and back bumper covers are cracked and faded. It probably wasn't washed in years until a few days before I received it. Someone gave it a quick mechanical buff that showed some potential to shine, but come spring I'll enjoy a couple of weekends bringing out whatever's left of the original paint.

That brings me to the bumper covers. I've googled around and see that there are lots of body kits available at fire sale prices. In 2001 I'd have been into that, now I'm more interested in restoring it to the original look. Someone on eBay is selling new OEM front bumpers covers painted to spec for about $260. I didn't see any pre-painted back covers. Is that the best I can do? How about used front and back covers? If anyone has them lying around it seems this would be the place. My ZX3 is Twilight Blue. What should I do?
    You can get brand new oem bumper covers for like $75 plus shipping. Look on amazon and search ebay through more and more pages. They are around for cheap.

Rookie

Also, always be checking craigslist in your area, and stop in the marketplace of other foci sites and post in wtb section. There maybe someone on there that has a blue one they are willing to sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

Where at in Maryland are you? i have a red front cover with fog lights. i am in PA.