Weird starting issues? Fix your old clutch switch for free in 15 minutes.
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Capaldi Racing

Default Weird starting issues? Fix your old clutch switch for free in 15 minutes.

I've been chasing starting gremlins for a long time. Delayed, slow, or grindy starts happened randomly, but they never left me stranded so I kept putting them off. I finally traced it to the clutch safety switch. This is a quick and easy check if you are having similar issues. You just need a small knife or screwdriver to pry off the clips and some alcohol or electrical contact cleaner.

Unclip the switch, remove the connector, and pry off the rear cover.

The contactor is symmetrical, you can simply pull it out and turn it around. Its like a whole new switch.

Clean it all up if you want and put it back together.

In my case it was so used (200,000mi) that the rubber button on that pushes on the plunger was loose. So I added a washer from my big-bag-o-random-crap to the back of it to close the gap.

And now I have a happy starter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Weird starting issues? Fix your old clutch switch for free in 15 minutes.

I don't like the clutch safety switch, for reasons more than just another electronic nanny device to wear out (I think that the extra reciprocating mass of the pressure plate actually helps turn the engine over) so I popped the plastic over off and twisted the wires together to permanently delete it.

Also, there may be times when I want to engage the starter in gear.
    Recently junked Light Saphire Blue 2000 SE sedan
    Stock except for fog light trick, LED's, and a wagon rear dome light.
    2007 ZX3 S "The Stig" 2.0 Duratec 5 speeed, Oxford white exterior black interior
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodKristina View Post
    Heck yes, those are fantastic. Especially with your meat :wub: