Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

fifteen52 | Project ST

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default focus sohc to a dohc engine

Has any body ever done a sohc to a dohc engine n a focus. I know it has been done but i would like some info on this change. I hear i will have to change a axle, pcm, wiring harness, and possible the motor mounts? .Any info would be great thanks

Premier Sponsor

Default Re: focus sohc to a dohc engine

Everything is a direct swap but you'll need all the engine wiring, PCM, transmission, axles etc.

Best bet is to find a donor car so you've got access to everything.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/

the only mount thaqt isnt the same, is the pass side engine mount, personally, if your doing it for more power, dont bother, the zetec isnt that much of a better engine. if you want power, i always reccomend a good turbo set-up

bryan
    Project pinky the crazy can corolla
    -04 focus(blown motor, waiting for donor and money)

for sale: TC6 Factory team Buy it!!!

Rookie

I had asked this in another forum, no response.
    My focus died, a valve crapped out and the head and one piston are shot.
    I found a DOHC car, hit in the front, but engine is supposedly good.
    Can I do this? Trying to salvage a lot of money put into this car before I go parting it out, and I only have about a day or so more before I have to do that.

Imma boob... nuff said.

try to find a newer focus with the 2.3 duratec... the zetec is pretty much dead as far as R&D goes... sad to say.
    There's no place like ::1!!

$3|\|10R 734/\/\ /\/\3/\/\B3R Ph0R L1Ph3

Rookie

Ok, well I've been doing more searching, this is what I found:
    http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=156676

Is it really necessary to go through all this work to put a DOHC engine in an SOHC car? Is the Zetec gonna be as much work? More work?

he did a zetec in that thread, so yes, its gonna be just as much work. while there are a lot of things that are shared between the 2 motors, there is still ALOT that has to be changed to put in a zetec. ECU, wiring harnesees, engine mounjts, tranny,and various other bits

and honestly it isnt enough of an upgrade to warrant all that work, id just slap a turbo on the SPI, get it tuned, and roll with it, youll be taking any N/A zetec out there. and poss a few F/I zetecs too depepnding on your set-up.

bryan

Premier Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug04
    he did a zetec in that thread, so yes, its gonna be just as much work. while there are a lot of things that are shared between the 2 motors, there is still ALOT that has to be changed to put in a zetec. ECU, wiring harnesees, engine mounjts, tranny,and various other bits

and honestly it isnt enough of an upgrade to warrant all that work, id just slap a turbo on the SPI, get it tuned, and roll with it, youll be taking any N/A zetec out there. and poss a few F/I zetecs too depepnding on your set-up.

bryan
    The problem with that is that he ends up with another SPI that'll more than likely drop a valve seat anyways.

I've seen multiple SPI's dropping valve seats over the last year or so, I don't know why but they do and when it happens it pretty much destroys the engine.

No offense to the SPI guys here but if you go the SPI route I'd find a way to get rid of it as soon as possible.

One local guys dad had an SPI that dropped a valve seat so he had it repaired at a machine shop. That head dropped another seat almost right away.

I sold him a reman SPI which lasted a few months and then smoked the bottom end bearings, it was replaced under warranty by a 2nd reman unit that had issues right off the bat so it got a 3rd reman unit put in.

Not real promising if you ask me.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

true, it is a good idea to get the head worked on and get the hardened valve seals, thoug i have had my SPI since new, and have 120k on here of Hard miles, and have done anything internally, and she runs like a top.

but my point still stands, the SPI to Zetec swap isnt worth it, if your gonna swap, it should be at least to a Duratec. once i can find a donor, im gonna drop a 2.3 in my SPI focus, and have a suitable starting platform.

bryan

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug04
    true, it is a good idea to get the head worked on and get the hardened valve seals, thoug i have had my SPI since new, and have 120k on here of Hard miles, and have done anything internally, and she runs like a top.

but my point still stands, the SPI to Zetec swap isnt worth it, if your gonna swap, it should be at least to a Duratec. once i can find a donor, im gonna drop a 2.3 in my SPI focus, and have a suitable starting platform.

bryan
    seconded. i'd only go for a Duratec (preferably the 2.3, but i dont even know if i can find a focus with a 2.3 in canada). seems to be super easy to find upgrades for the D tho.
    '00 LX SPI ATX - bone stock
    Colt Canada C8A2; Quad Rail Handguards; ITG foregrip w/ surefire; PEC9 IR Laser; battle sights; 1.5x holographic

Premier Sponsor

I'd third the Duratec swap, find a donor car like a rollover or something and go to town.

The only way the Zetec swap makes sense is if the donor car is SUPER cheap.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS
    I'd third the Duratec swap, find a donor car like a rollover or something and go to town.

The only way the Zetec swap makes sense is if the donor car is SUPER cheap.
    i almost got my hands on a rolled SVT for the cheaps 2 months ago.
    but i found out it rolled AFTER breaking the front axle and an engine mount going off a jump.... =(
    '00 LX SPI ATX - bone stock
    Colt Canada C8A2; Quad Rail Handguards; ITG foregrip w/ surefire; PEC9 IR Laser; battle sights; 1.5x holographic

Senior TEAM Member

I still don't understand why everyone wants to replace a weak engine with more weak engines. Sure, the Zetec and Duratecs both have potential, but if you are going to buy an engine from a wrecked car, why not go bigger/better?

Contour V6 swaps are available, as are V8's. Hell, a tiny local machine shop told me that they'd put any engine in any car.
    you make me touch your hands for stupid reasons

lol, money and the ability to do it without welding/ actual mechanical schooling. ie the backyard mechanic lol

someone on FF is doing an SPI to SVT swap. I think it's the way I would go. Good engine and reliable. Enough HP to have fun on the track!
    Tightness isn't how your car looks, it's how hard you drive it.
    -lgSPI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast