Ford Focus Forum banner

hatch release button will not work

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Capitalist 
#1 ·
how can i fix it?

#5 ·
Is it only the inside button that doesn't work?If the remote also doesn't work then I would check the wiring between the hatch and body. Open up the conduit and look for any broken wires.

#6 ·
The switch is most likely out. It happens all the time.
Undo the three screws along the top of the guage surround and pop it off. Unplug the wiring going to the switch. Bend a scrap piece of wire in a U shape and insert one end into each side of the plug so your making contact across the plug. If your hatch trips when you do this, your switch is out.
Time to contact FORDSVTPARTS.

If nothing happens when you do this, first try again and be sure you are bridging the wires across. Still? Then you have a bigger problem somewhere.

Why does the switch wear out? Inside there is a rubber dome piece that goes undo the button and is compressed when you push down that in turn pushes on a micro switch. Eventually the rubber gets worn out and gives out, or the micro switch gets stuck down. No need to try and repair it, they are cheap for a reason.

#7 ·
i can pop the hatch with my remote... once the weather gets better i'll remove the guage surround and take a look at the microswitch.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.