Ford Focus Forum banner

Alternator Removal

14K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BrokenSVT 
#1 ·
I have to replace my alternator in my 2000 Focus se w/Zetec (automatic).
Well, I folowed Haynes Repair Manual and I'm at the point of removing it, but it just doesn't fit nomatter what way i turn that darn alternator. It just won't come up.
there's always something in the way.

Also looked at focushacks.com, and it looks so easy, however there is some kind of metal part of the engine in the way that I can't remove.

Can anyone help plz. ?

#2 ·
Automatic Zetec Foci have the engine located over "1 more towards the firewall. You have to fuss with it to get the alternator up and out; I have been there.

#3 ·
when removing the alternator make sure the pully is facing up. You'll have to remove everything in that corner, evap purge canister, coolant reservoir, p.s. fluid reservoir, engine ground to strut tower, etc...

After you remove all that its just a matter of finessing it out of the hole you just created. What does this metal part on the engine look like? If you're talking about the lift lug by the engine ground above the alt. you don't need to remove that.

#4 ·
it's part of the fuel rail. is there a way to move the engine an inch or two towards the front of the car by unbolting the passanger engine mounts?

#7 ·
it looks like a dog bone. one large end aproxamatly 2.5" in diamater. and a small end aprox 1" dia. it connectes between the trans and the subframe underneath the car.

the way axon pulled his is the same way I did mine twice now.

you may want to check the wiring from your alternator to the battery for burned spots. that is what destroyed my second alternator.

#8 ·
rollo78 said:
is there a way to move the engine an inch or two towards the front of the car by unbolting the passanger engine mounts?
yes there is, just take off the 3 bolts holding down the passenger side engine mount. then put a jack under teh oil pan with a small 2by4. now, you are able to lift up the engine enough to get out teh alternator(I should know because I have done it twice).

#13 ·
Just did mine yesterday(01 SE Zetec w/ AT)

The ONLY way I found to do it:

*Remove all the goodies as mentioned in Haynes/Chilton:
Evap Canister
Coolant overflow
P/S Reservoir
Engine Harness plug
*Remove belt from alternator pulley
*Unbolt alternator
*Unbolt lower engine mount(tranny mount)
*Unbolt passenger side engine mount @ body attachment(3 15mm bolts, I think)
*slide engine forward
*pull engine with all your might while another(or yourself if brave) person finesses alternator out.

If it makes you feel better, it goes in MUCH easier.

FYI: i just had mine rebuilt for like $70. They replaced everything inside, other than the rotor.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.