Ford Focus Forum banner

Muffler Has A Pinhole Leak, Easy Fix?

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Jibberish18 
#1 ·
I never really bothered to check out the exhaust on my '01 ZX3 before and just now realized that ugly metal turd hanging under the rear bumper is not the muffler but a resonator (if I'm right). Damn what an ugly exhaust system.

For a simple fix for now, is there anything I can do to patch up a small hole in the bottom of the muffler? It makes a farting noise at low idle and it's really irritating. I was thinking JB Weld or similar.

I would like a full-length system, but don't have the money for it right now. That will come soon enough though.

#2 ·
You can do a rear muffler delete and it will sound like you have an aftermarket exhaust. It's not noisy or irritating and would cost you all of $20 for some piping. If you wanna splurge, get yourself a nice tip!

#4 · (Edited)
It's not the resonator with a leak, it's the muffler. Hacking the piping off after the muffler wouldn't fix the leak in the muffler, only cover it up because the exhaust will be louder.

Just talked with a buddy and he said some mufflers are designed with a drainhole. Is this true for the Focus? I wouldn't want to plug something that's supposed to be there.

#5 ·
If it's not a big hole, you can put a stainless steel rivet in there. I've done it before and it works pretty good.

#8 ·
There is a drain hole, but I believe it's in the resonator near to but not at the back of the car where the muffler sits. When I first heard it making noise i thought I got ripped off buying a car with a hole in the exhaust. But it only makes noise when the car is wamring up and moisture is condensing in the tailpipe. It prevents the resonator from rusting from the inside out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.