Ford Focus Forum banner

Spec focus racecar

54K views 245 replies 29 participants last post by  msperber 
#1 ·
Thought I let anyone interested know my converted NASA spec focus which is now a ITA scca racecar. Going up to VIR for a test day on fri may 6, racing sat and sunday. Yes I am getting in trouble with the wife as it's mothersday weekend, so I'm taking the kid:). Will be testing different front bars and Hoosier vs kumho tires, also just trying to get some seat time as we have only one weekend on the track since we completed the build this year. So if ya bored come join us at VIR. We will be the only focus but if ya need help look for the yellow and blue ST #29

#2 ·
Ok weekend update, with factory front bar Hoosiers and big bar in the rear, hated the car. Very twitchy especially under braking. Kumho felt much more stable, removed front bar, Hoosiers more stable but not as quick as kumho. Moved the rear shocks two more clicks soft Hoosiers good kumhos real good now encountering lots of rear brake lockup especially on the unloaded rear tire. So we corded two rear tires one Hoosier and one kumho. Race day best qualifying to date, race went terrific finished third in group and set a personal best and improved almost a full second. The first place guys are still secure but the focus world is gaining:)

#3 ·
Keep on racing! Sounds like a good day of turning the wheel.

#7 ·
Well that was the first time I ever posted pictures, I think I will stick to driving, going to Carolina Motorsports park this weekend, New alignment settings and a new brake compound is what we are testing this weekend. Running two races, one enduro, and one sprint race. Looks like the enduro has over 15 miatas and me running in ITA, hope I can see them. First time a focus will be considered a big car.:)

#8 ·
Looks great. If you ever need cash for tires or gas, I'm sure you could sell the front and rear bumpers and wing for a bunch + the regular replacements.

#9 ·
Had no idea when I got the car that the bumper set was desired. As a setup for racing with the front sap bumper it is set up great using the front fog light set for brake ducts. With the lower supports tied to the inner fender plastic liners it creates a great radiator seal for air flow. The rear just looks cool. The rear wing is more show than go I think and the way the racing seat is mounted even at 6 ft tall it still blocks some vision to the rear. Just got a standard rear wing so I will be putting it on to see the difference. Went racing this weekend at Carolina motorsports park. Blew a hose in the enduro three laps from the end. Temp up to 240 but warning lights saved the day. Fixed and went out for the sprint, missed the 1 min to green started dead last and half a lap behind at the drop of the green. The track hates me, I could get no rythem and I kept pressing. The new brake pads worked better in the rear but didn't change tires and ate up the right front until the tread separated from the tire case, at over 100mph. Not fun and a he'll of a ride. So I learned I can't drive that track and always double check the front tire wear. Car and driver still learning and boy it gets a ton of conversation. May need to put in a pass seat for fun rides.:)

#10 ·
Ok, new updates to the race car front, ordered and planning to installed an oil cooler from one of the sponsors of the site, terrific service so far and very helpful with all my questions. Thanks FSWorks. Scheduled to go run Daytona first weekend of August and third weekend I will be at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The course at daytona is the same as the rolex, this will be a first time to Daytona, I convinced the wife that it would be a great weekend adventure, hell its one of the bucket list things I want to do before I die. Charlotte I have run at before and since I live in NC its not a problem. Changing all the hoses this weekend and building new brake ducts for the front rotors. Anybody want to crew:). Next on the list is a trip to the dyno for some baselines on the motor and a new tune. I have an SCT tuner and a new shop opened up near Greensboro and they are an SCT shop. Hope diesal fuel comes down some before we leave.

#14 ·
Ok update from daytona, only 97 degrees today, qualified 10th out of 20 or so A cars, a total field of 55 which included ITR, ITS, ITA, and IT7. Overall starting position was 18th. I was pleased as fri test day really helped, started in the 2:33's qualified with a 2:25.6. It was a busy start with 3 wreaks or spins just in the infield. Drafting over 135mph is amazing and slighting nervewreaking. The track is amazing smooth even the infield. If ya ever have a chance u must do it. Oh finished 8 th in class. 18 th overall with a best time of 2:24.2, just a great weekend of racing.!!!

#15 ·
Just for fun a really nice racer posted to u- tube a 2 lap vid of him chasing my car driven by my friend at daytona during a qualifying run at the scca event. Drafting at over 120 looks like fun we just have to replace the bumper decal, cause rubbing is racing at daytona. Check it out look for daytona tango:)

#16 ·
This weekend we raced at charlotte motor speedway. Hot and sticky but oh what fun. Track is bumpy on or in the infield. The trans to the banking is still at speed a little rough. Car ran great until we started to impload the right front tire. First we thought alignment. After lots of folks looking it over we thought possible tire construction. Hoosier tire guys were great, we went up three additional pounds cold, tried to stand the right side up but we could only bring it back to -2 on the right side. Spoke to some very helpful folks and modified my line thru NASCAR 3/4. What a ride. We raced sat night under the lights. Started dead last in a field of 38 due to timing problems. Finished 16th overall, 2nd in class and the right front gave up on the last lap. What a ride. Superspeedway needs a new front setup but some great racing under the lights at Charlotte, live is good, very good and the focus kicked butt, one more race this year. I will hopefully get some video posted .

#17 ·
Posted up on u-tube, under Asheboro Ford racing at Daytona, the race starts about 29 min, and last a little over 35 mins long. Racing with three miata's real close. First time at daytona. Getting ready for three races at VIR, worked today on new wiring and relays for both fans, trying to see if the front end has any problems from the Charlotte race weekend. Three tire failures all on the right front. All the tires suffered internal belt failure on the inside edge. Tire rack has worked really well with us, and kumho tire Corp has requested the tires for inspection. I will up date as to the final outcome of the ties issue. We did tie rod ends, hub bearings and replaced the ball joints with bolt in ones. That part of knocking out the rivets is one ugly task but it's done finally. Next is alignment and corner Weighting.

#18 ·
Ok here is the first update for the last weekend of racing for a while. Put the car on the pole at vir in ITA for the enduro race. Ran my best lap this year and was 28th out 74 cars. On the out lap brake pedal goes to the floor, rush into the pits, front axle nut backed off, lost two laps, back out and 24 laps later hub shears off the front 2 inches of the axle, race over. Great start to the day with the pole but that's racing. Oh it was a brand new hub axle ball joint and tie rod end. I must have really screwed that install so I guess I will dismiss myself as chief tech on my car. All is repaired and we try again tommorow, qualified 3rd. Oh almost forgot, threw the belt on my 2nd qualifier. Turns out lost a mounting bolt and the case on the alternator actually shattered. Boy this has been an expensive weekend.

#19 ·
First race on Sunday morning, car all fixed, new alt, new hub assembly. Started 13th, 3rd in class, 49 cars overall. I was asleep at the wheel on the green and before the first turn I had lost 15 positions, wow. Before turn 4 major crash, two laps of double yellow. Second chance was a charm. 8 laps of terrific fun, finished 10th over all 2nd in class only 6 seconds back from 1st in class, but ran two laps faster than my qualifier. Second race was the enduro, well before that we busted a front brake line. None available, but did ya know that a contour svt has a line that works. My crew drives one, so we took it and away we go, finished 2nd in class 20th overall with my codriver doing the last 15 laps. Overall the season was great and next year they know a focus is truely a fast car. Updates to follow on the new engine and trans combo. Where do I find ss brake lines. Thanks.

#20 ·
I love a good race day story. :)

#22 ·
Ok for those who are bored and would like to waste 35 minutes or so go to u tube, posted my next to last race of the season of my converted spec focus to ITA FOCUS. Listed under asheboro ford at VIR. When u watch no laughing I blew the start, thought it would be a good time for a nap. So I gave up 10 or so positions before turn one. What if cause I got back to 2nd in class. Have fun and no laughing cause I had a blast:))

#24 ·
Nope being able to post just this info is a real victory for me. All the posts of the racing a guy at my office does for me as with the pics. We are starting to build a new motor and have been getting a ton of into on the duretac forum heading under new build.

#25 ·
Finally got the results back from kumho tire, we had three tire failures at Charlotte motor speedway. Kumho engineers had three of the four tires, after two months of constant calls, copies of all my tire data and the actual tires the diagnosis, I under inflated just one tire for every session always on the right side of the car:( Not picking on the tire company but disappointed in their problem resolution process. I will say that tire rack where I bought my tires were terrific and assisted in additional tires with discounts. Will be switching to Hoosier this year, had one of their tire reps look over my cold temp data, hot temp data, car weights, spring rates and what and he believes it was a construction failure. Going from 205/40-16 to 215/45-16. Almost same footprint, circumference within 1/4 " and weight within 1/2 a lb. Highbanks are not for kumho

#26 ·
Start of the winter rebuild, did a compression check and leakdown today, while we are building a new motor this one checked out great, 2% leak down and 230 compression across the board. This will be a great backup motor. Trans is getting a 4.06 final drive, and we already have the quaife. Reworked the wiring for the dual fans, pulled the bumpers for repainting and repair ( yes we rub in the scca). Fire supression system mapped out. Pulled the fuel tank inlet tube to remove the restriction for unleaded fuel nozzles, really will help during refueling during enduros. Going to get a tune, meeting with dyno folks this week. Replaced all the flexible brake lines after the failure of the left front one last year. Lots done lots to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.