Ford Focus Forum banner

2000 Ford Focus Not Starting

Tags
focus
6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Rocky45702 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 ford focus that will crank but not turn over. I replaced the battery because it did not test good. I just changed the Alternator earlier this year and the starter is about 2 and a half years old. I was told to test the fuel pump, but i'm unsure how to do this. Also do you guys think i should try changing the spark plugs?

#2 ·
There was an issue with the fuel pump on early Focus models. The only way to tell if it's bad is having a shop or dealership do the test to read things like pressure and perform a diagnostic.

It'd be more helpful if you tell us what engine you have, and what your mileage is right now first. A Focus that doesn't start can be caused by one or a few things happening all at once.

#4 ·
Okay If the engine is turning over the battery, alternator, and starter are not the problem. If someone sprays starting fluid in to the throttle body while you hold it OT while turning it over will it run? When you turn the key to the "on" position (without cranking) do you hear the whine of the fuel pump? It should probably last a few seconds, then when it reaches pressure it turns itself off. It primes the fuel rail for starting the engine. If you do not hear this, you need to check the fuse. If the fuse is fine the relay could be bad. If the relay is fine you need to check the power wire to the fuel pump for 12v. If you have 12v then the fuel pump is bad. If all these things check out you can test the fuel pressure to see if it's getting ~40psi. If thats okay, then you can check for spark. If you remove a spark plug and leave the wire connected you can ground it to any metallic unpainted part of the car, like a bolt, or a bare metal spot. Turn the car over and you should see it arking repeatedly. If there is no spark you could have a bad coil or crank sensor.
-Thomas

#6 ·
well make sure you check the spark while you're changing them then. It'll be the perfect opportunity.

#9 ·
some parts stores have rental tools so you could check to see if anyone rents out a fuel pressure gauge.
-Thomas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.