Ford Focus Forum banner

Ford Focus Rear Drum Bearing Spindle Replace Repair Reuse Issues Lube?

17K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  VEGAS 
#1 ·
I like others have had issues with my rear brakes squealing. I decided to replace the rear shoes. My buddy did it for me, being a AES Tech so I figured he would do it best.

He used a Impact driver to remove it and replace it the spindle nut.. I know bad Idea

I did it once myself and know to remove the spindle 14mm bolts. So long story short.. no bad issues there but brakes still squealed. I found out that the common reason is there is a harmonic problem with the with the drum and other parts so I figured I would buy a new drum on ebay and it came with the bearing. $114 + $30 Shipping.

Worked like a Charm, I did it myself. However 2 months later both bearing went bad.
I tourqed the nuts to the 173lbs like the specs require. However I never added Extra Lube. Was told by a buddy that does this that its not needed. I figured he was right did not see extra lube when I removed it.

So I went to Ford yesterday. Bought 2 new Drums with bearing since I do not trust the ebay drums.

I know people say replace the nuts, but the washers looked perfect still my Focus is a 2007 with 65k miles. Unless someone can come up with a strong argument to replace them I cannot see why they need to be replaced.

So.... to Review... here is what I know.

Bolts 14mm on Spindle Tourqed to 49 ft/lbs.

Spindle Nut I hear on forums 29mm 30mm and 32mm, I bought a 30mm seems every so slightly slacked but works well. so I think 29mm night be correct. and the torque spec is 173 ft/lbs

Front Axle Nut - 32mm no idea on ft/lbs
Rear Axle Nut - 29mm 173 ft/lbs

So does the rear Spindles get Lubed when installing the rear drum with Spindle Nut Method. Or is the bearing sealed and pre-lubed????

The new Drums have a SMALLER hub, so the 2007 drum speed ring will not fit the new drum I just bought they are smaller, forcing you to replace the Speed ring. I have pinched the old speed ring sides sightly and they seem to be working perfectly and holding..

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess I'd really question what they sold you.

The rear ABS tone rings were all the same from 2000-2010 and the drums were all the same from 2000-2009.

You should have gotten the following part numbers,

Drum 8S4Z-1113-B
Tone ring 5S4Z-2B384-AA

I just pulled a set off the shelf and verified that the tone rings do fit those drums.

#4 ·
My Chiltons for 2000-05 says nothing about lube anywhere, wither in drum/bearing complete replacement, nor bearing replacement alone.

Only 2 things to note about drum replacement.

1 is the tone ring for ABS if you have it...be careful with it.

2 is to rotate the drum in the opposite direction when tightening the hub retaining nut to prevent damage to the bearing.

#6 ·
well I bought a set of drums on ebay with bearing in them..
I live in Las Vegas and drive my car like I stole it, I replaced the drum because the surface was to smooth and made noise.

not because the bearing was bad, so I figured the spindle was fine.

I installed the new set. they lasted 2 months. One bearing made noise then failed.
Other one failed about the same time the replacement one came for the defective.

I went to ford bought a new set, the ABS ring was sloppy, was wider then the OEM so that explains the sloppy ABS, but still got it to work.

I got them to give me a refund on the drums.

So I am out shipping on 3 drums.
But all 3 failed. the Lube was all over the place with the failed drums, so I think the heat of las vegas killed the seals making the bearing fail.

the Ford ones are 2 weeks in and still quiet wher ethe cheap ones failed in 1 week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.