Ford Focus Forum banner

Key Locked In Car

40K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Lancer211 
#1 ·
heres the scenario.. i let someone thats staying in the hotel room with me drive my car and they locked my key in it.. my fiance lost my spare.. i have a lockout kit to try and get it unlocked but not sure what to do.. i cant afford a locksmith bc im going to school right now for my CDL and currently not working... if any of you know what to do pls tell me

#2 ·
call the local police non-emergancy line and ask if they provide lockout assitance.

what does your lock out kit have in it? if its the slim-jim dont even try it. you can break the lock or worse if you dont do it right and then your screwed... well, more screwed anyway. lol. sorry.

lock pics will not work.

if you have the long metal bar (not a flat piece, thats the slim-jim) and a wedge of some sort than you can pull the top of the door back and use the wedge to give you about an inch (enough room to get the bar through). once the bar is in you can hit the lock botton if you have power locks or try and push the manual lock. you can also try and pull the handle.

ive locked my keys in the car 6 times this year so ive gotten good at this. it would be a good idea to go to the dealer where you got the car and ask if they will make you a key w/o the cip. i got one for free and its thin so i leave it in my wallet.

#3 ·
yea i got the piece your talkn about but i cant seem to get the damn thing lol... i done cut the hell out of my finger with the slim jim.. may have to get stitchs.. and the cops here in stlouis will only do it if theres a kid or pet in the car.. sucks ass

#4 ·
so then you have the slim-jim only? if so your better off calling AAA. hell get a membership, probably cost as much as le lock out from a tow truck.

i dont even whant to beging to know how you messed yourself up soo bad with a slim jim!?!? dont ever try and steal cars, ur just not good at it. lol.

#5 ·
DON'T **** around with the slim jim. You WILL **** up your door. Whoever AAA sends wouldn't even do it with one if they had half a clue.

I've had to get mine jimmied twice since I owned it and done it once myself. What you need to do is wedge the door open as far as you can by jamming some sort of chock into the vertical door seam by the B pillar, near the top. You'll get it open just wide enough to get a tiny rod through -- in your case, your best bet would probably be a metal hanger, but you should actually be able to get something as thick as 1cm into it. It has to be long enough to reach your lock, and curved at the end. Slide it through just above the chock, and hook the edge around the front of your lock and pull it back until the lock pulls open.

#8 ·
I am a AAA locksmith. You can go about it 3 ways. The long rod (extension tool) can be used like everone has said with the wedge in the door..its a lot easier to pull the handle back than the lock mech itself. If you have a tool that is intended to go inside the door and come up threw the inside of the window you can also use this, and open the handle. You only need to open the handle about 1/4 of the way then it will unlock. Wish i was in IL man. The only tool that will work inside the actual door is a tool that is shaped like an L (L tool) and that is almost impossible to get, unless your lucky. If you want to try the L the mechanism inside the door is right below the handle about 6 inches..close to the back of the door. you have to fiddle it around until you find the Bellcrank...you then twist it clockwise. The last way is the hardest.

#9 ·
sorry I can't be of more help but it might be wise to invest on one of this

I just bought my focus and one day while I was looking under the car saw the key pad behind the honeycomb grill on the rear bumper then I remember that I saw 5 number on a sticker on the glove box so I tried them and it worked lock/unlock doors and rear hatch.

#11 ·
FordFociSHO said:
When locked out, if all else fails just pop the hatch lock out - flathead and a hammer.
^ ..??? Explain plz, trying to think of a way this wouldn't cause damage....

#12 ·
The only way I know of is wedge that little airbad in through the side of your door, pump air into it to open the door a bit, shove a strong metallic rod in your car and either hit your power door button or push/pull the handle. Or push in your manual lock button. Just be careful with the paint on your car because some of these A-Holes don't cover their metal rods properly with duct tape and it scraches the hell out of your interior and exterior.

#13 ·
saurin37 said:
^ ..??? Explain plz, trying to think of a way this wouldn't cause damage....

It will/can cause damage, though that would be obvious. Just saying if worse comes, a couple screws and a lock cylinder is probally cheaper than most things.

Also be careful when trying to jimmy the door frame open. If you bend to hard the window can break or you can bend the door frame, later you'll be asking why you have a wind whistle in the car now.

THe top corner of the door frame has the easiest are to get in, though you'll have little control of the rod.

#15 ·
I too locked my keys in my car and was reading this thread. I quickly abandoned the slim jim route and tried the wedge and the coat hanger technique. I still could not pull the handle or push the lock button, however my keys were just lying in the seat so i just hooked them with the hanger and pulled them up as far as they would go, with the other end of the hanger i pushed the unlock button and it worked! I'm endlessly amused with myself right now.

#17 ·
I have weather tech window visors, i never close my window all the way, i roll it up until the window meets the bottom of the window visor. So with regular people passing by they wont notice my window is open. I've locked my keys in the car at least 3 times. I start by removing my window visor, then i unscrew my oem antenna and use it to pull the door handle open, thanks to ford for making the auto unlock door handles.

#18 ·
mikeeshaq said:
OK for next time... I got a key made but without the chip-just a plain metal key. Taped to rear of rear license plate-then I put a real key inside someplace (pick yours) and I can get going. This works if I lose my keys altogether
Wow.... now THAT'S a good idea. I'll hafta look into that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.