Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How well do new Mustangs handle in inclimate weather?

Post says it. could I drive it year round? How is the drivability in new england weather?

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: How well do new Mustangs handle in inclimate weather?

i live in NE. and alot of people here have RWD cars year round. it'll suck during the blizzards. but c'mon. it's not like it's gonna be 4 months of straight blizzards every day. ya know?

i actually think i would rather have RWD regardless. cuz i hate FWD and even in the snow FWD blows monkey bauls. it's only good when you need to get started lol. but after that it's the same deal [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i've driven my dads Jeep in RWD and my moms' burban in RWD in blizzards and snow. it's been fine. minus the fact that each are prolly ALOT more weight lol

Senior TEAM Member

jeeps and suburbans ar diff than mustangs^^^
    they are pretty bad.

[size="1"][ 05-06-2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: zx3 focus racer ][/size]

Senior TEAM Member

I think they drive fine as long as you got your head on straight.

I can't wait for the new ones to come out.

Senior TEAM Member

Originally posted by zx3 focus racer:
    jeeps and suburbans ar diff than mustangs^^^
    they are pretty bad.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lol i know. i said that right after [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I have never driven a mustang in the snow but I have driven one in rain (on many occasions). If you are getting a mustang make sure to get the traction control, keeps the wheels from slipping (as much). I owned a v6 coupe, and that was a pain in the but when ever the roads got wet, so I can imagine what it would be like in a blizzard. Just my 2 cents. [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]

Rookie

Mustangs or similar(camaros,firebirds,etc..)all usually dont not handle well on wet or icy/snowy roads. It's always been common to rwd V8's.

TEAM Member

I had a 98 GT with 245/45/17's (big and wide) and one of the rears was newer than the other... Needless to say I didn't go anywhere fast and when I did move, one side of the rear end always slid out faster than the other. There was a cop right behind me and although I was all over the road, he left me alone... he had snow tires and weighed about 1200 lbs more.

BTW, the word is INCLEMENT.

Andrew

Senior TEAM Member

one of my friends has a V6 with a couple mods, but fat 17's and Eagles...yeah, that thing was all over the road if it was even slushy.

Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!

never snow, but my 73 mustang with a mild 351C was nicknamed the snake in the rain. 360's were common getting on freeways and taking corners was always fun......I miss her. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But I'd still watch out driving her around in the rain or worse.

TEAM Member

if you can afford a mustang why not delay your first mod and buy a $500 beater for the winter. that way you have altenate transportaion when needed. and you still have the beauty of RWD.

[FJ] Addict

Um... don't do it. I had a Mustang, and it was pretty bad. I stored it in a barn, and one spring I went to pull it out, I got stuck in the mud.

There was not real "hill" to speak of, just a slight slope, and I couldn't get up it.

I left the car in 1st gear and got out and pushed... it has so little traction, with a manual trany I just left it in the gear and the engine at idle just turned the tires over and I was pushing from the back. It was rediculous.

Senior TEAM Member

My 98 Mustang GT was pretty horrible in the snow...forget about getting up any form of a hill if you stop at the base of it if theres any snow on the ground. Once you got started you where ok, as long as you didn't do anything stupid. Thankfully when I had the car we had some of the mildest winters ever in NJ and I think I had to worry about snow about 3-4 times over the 5 yrs I had it. Go figure this winter is one of the worst ever in NJ and I have an SVT Focus, which is a just a little better in the snow [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

TEAM Member

Get a new one with TC and you'll be fine.

Senior TEAM Member

Get some--all 4--good winter tires for the snowy months--it will be a very livable car if you do that. Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires would be my first choice http://www.nokian.com/.

The traction control option would be worth considering, but is not a "must have" imho.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast