Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Capaldi Racing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ed
    TEAM Member

Default Re: What happens if you cross cables while jumpstarting a car?

yeah but what does the odometer readout say when you turn to start? do the gauge lights come on? do the needles sweep? is everything dark and inactive?
    It's a mechanical odometer, but nothing works. No warning lights, no gauge lights, no nothing. And that's with her brand new post-crossjump battery in there, and also jump-wired (correctly, I might add ) to my car.

Senior TEAM Member

Time to do continuity and resistance testing on those battery cables.
    Zero continuity = broken connection
    High resistance = very few wires still connected.

I had to do that to find out where the cables were bad in my old truck. You'd be surprised how a little corrosion on a battery terminal will cause big problems

on the focus at least, the starter wont turn at all if batt- to engine block resistance is > 3K ohms

in all honesty, this car is probably going to be an electrical nightmare for the rest of its life. Lots of wires were probably fried, lots of integrated circuitry was probably partially fried. Even after you get it running, you're going to be finding things wrong or having things going wrong for a long time, most likely.

dont be too quick to call it a mess. the only thing that happened to my truck was the radio no longer worked. and there was freaking SMOKE pouring thru my dash. I thought it was a gonner but no, fileld the battery chambers back up with water and it fired up and drove on.

Rookie

Last time I crossed the jumper cables on a car, it opened an alternate dimension, where I found myself on a planet surrounded by women that looked like Petra Nikova and I quickly discovered that I was the only man. Needless to say, my fuses fried and it ended the "reality" before it really began. If you want my opinion, I'd try to cross juper cables every chance I got.

Just joking. I used to wok as a mechanic and I've seen all sorts of jumper cabled crossed. Seriously, check your fuses, that's what they're there for. If nothing is wrong there... no worries.

Austin

Ed
    TEAM Member

Last time I crossed the jumper cables on a car, it opened an alternate dimension, where I found myself on a planet surrounded by women that looked like Petra Nikova and I quickly discovered that I was the only man. Needless to say, my fuses fried and it ended the "reality" before it really began. If you want my opinion, I'd try to cross juper cables every chance I got.

Just joking. I used to wok as a mechanic and I've seen all sorts of jumper cabled crossed. Seriously, check your fuses, that's what they're there for. If nothing is wrong there... no worries.

Austin
    HAHA - which fuses should I be looking at?

Rookie

Check all of the fuses under the hood of the car, there should be a box on the drivers side, usually close tot eh firewall, and also the in-car fuses, located under the dash, also usually on the drivers side. Also, visually inspect the battery cables for signs of frying or exposed wires. If they were only crossed for a few seconds, I doubt this will be a trouble spot. Let me know how everything goes.

Austin

Also check the fusible link. Youo should find this in the harness from the battery to the fusebox, look under the hood and track all wires from the battery.

The fusible link is there to protect the fuse box. It is simply a short piece of smaller gauge wire that has connectors on both ends and. It might be fried. Buy a new one at the dealer or used from recycle yard.

I used to carry a spare one in the TSD Rally car just in case having all the lights on caused a problem.

from the right seat
    dam3816
    <//><

Ed
    TEAM Member

THANKS guys for all your help!!! We towed it last night; hopefully the mechanic, who's a family friend of my gf, will be able to figure out the problem. I hope it's something as simple as a fuse.....believe me, she sure can't afford anything expensive.

Will keep y'all posted, but here's some advice: CAREFUL when you jump start your car!

TEAM Member

Dang it, my brother did this on my new 1985 Celica GTS convertible before he trailered it home; I still haven't even driven it yet! I'm gonna tow it in and have the shop dick with it.

I just did this to my 2000 Subaru Outback, after I left the radio playing while doing yardwork. I was in a hurry to pickup my daughter, got the cables setup on my car (red to dead), knocked on the neighbor's door, got their keys, wired up to their battery, then black to ground on the Subaru. Sparks galore! ...when it was still sparking a second or 2 later I pulled the Black off the ground, went over to the neighbor's car, and saw I had put black to positive, and red to negative on their battery.
    ID.TEN.T problem right there. I couldn't believe I had done that. Thanked the neighbors, checked that I hadn't damaged THEIR car... then got to troubleshooting.

Thankfully, the power was only on for a second or two, so no melted wires. And 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback's have a whopper of a 100A (amp) main fuse. Called around at 8pm for a replacement. Most stores (advance, autozone) told me I'd have to go to the dealer. O'Reilly Auto said to bring in the fuse. They had one that fit, except the spades went down instead of out to the sides. 10 seconds with a snipper and pliers and it went in like a charm. Car started right up, all the accessories working. HALLELUJAH. Thank you Subaru for a main fuse. I was afraid I had made a $1000 mistake and blown my ECU. $5 and a good lesson, I can live with.

Note to Self: CHECK THOSE DAMN CABLES!! and pray that your car has a Main Fuse. Easier to replace then stripping, soldering, crimping a wiretype Fusible link.

Tarderator

aka: Red-SE-00'

New Project coming soon...xB is stock again.
    .2006 .Scion .xB .Polar White
    Team Sun*Works
    [FJ] focaljet - GUIDELINES - GALLERY - [FJ]WALLPAPER - STORE - SPONSORS - SEARCH - Any Questions?

You know, when a thread is this old, it's ok to start a new one. With that said....

HOLY RESURRECTED THREAD!!!!!!!!

L1m drinl after cgrsitmas Lifeguardjoe's Avatar

I said, got damn! Old thread.
    2003 SVT Cobra Vert - Sonic Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by adamw View Post
    158K miles, and in Chrysler years, that's like 300K miles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast