Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Capaldi Racing

Senior TEAM Member

Default Bleeding a cooling system

How exactly does one go about bleeding out air pockets in the cooling system of a car? It's an 'old school' cooling system that you fill at the radiator, and has an overflow bottle.

Thanks in advance.
    2006 Ford F-150 XL
    2005 Suzuki SV650N
    Hopefully, a 2011 Focus or Fiesta when they hit the market

[FJ] Addict
    Little Saint Clara, Isle of Queen Califia

Default Re: Bleeding a cooling system

run it with the radiator cap off.... in short intervals so as not to get anything up to a boil.
    The queen of the missions....

Senior TEAM Member

Simple enough. I'll probably mess around doing that tomorrow. I've heard folks with this same car do this, and their overheating problem goes away. Save me the cost of replacing the radiator. But, if it doesn't work, I can get a radiator for $80 for this car thru a parts wholesaler I know, so it's not too bad compared to $200 thru anywhere else for a radiator for the car.
    2006 Ford F-150 XL
    2005 Suzuki SV650N

TEAM Member

the car has a de-gasing line, air bubbles will work themselves out and vent through the cap

Senior TEAM Member

some cars actually have a coolant bleed valve on the top of the block. what kind of car is it?
    '00 Focus Kona edt.
    SVT suspension, poly bushings, 15" split 5 spokes with Cooper CS4, ebay CAI with K&N filter, an 'aaaoooogah' horn

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by spots25
    some cars actually have a coolant bleed valve on the top of the block. what kind of car is it?
    It's a 1990 Nissan Maxima. I'm gonna try the method suggested earlier by running the engine intermittently with the radiator cap open, but not enough to get anything too hot.
    2006 Ford F-150 XL
    2005 Suzuki SV650N

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2xtremefocus
    It's a 1990 Nissan Maxima. I'm gonna try the method suggested earlier by running the engine intermittently with the radiator cap open, but not enough to get anything too hot.
    run it for a few minutes, and keep topping off the radiator. Also, squeeze the upper coolant hose every once in a while. shut it down, repeat, and screw the cap back on. i've had pretty good luck with that
    '00 Focus Kona edt.
    SVT suspension, poly bushings, 15" split 5 spokes with Cooper CS4, ebay CAI with K&N filter, an 'aaaoooogah' horn

some cars have bleeder screws you can loosen to get air bubbles out. If your car is not equipped, run it with the cap off for awhile.

soome cars like Audis are very stubborn. The best thing to do is idle (cap on) it untill the thermostat pops. You'll know when it happens becuase all of a sudden, the coolant will be sucked out of the expansion tank. Shut it off and let it sit untill cool. (otherwise the coolant will backflush) then refill and let idle again untill the coolant stays at least in the tank. top up and you're done.
    TXFO V.2.0

Hank Williams might have been a love sick drinker but being a love sick drunk don't make you Hank. -Sons of Bill-