Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

fifteen52 | Project ST

Default Ive lost both ignition keys to my 2002 Ford Focus, how much should I expect to pay fo

Ive lost both ignition keys to my 2002 Ford Focus, how much should I expect to pay for one replacement at the dealer? How much extra would it be to have a second ignition key made? My car is stuck at work 3 miles from the nearest dealer.

I'm the 'intellectual' here Chalz's Avatar

Default Re: Ive lost both ignition keys to my 2002 Ford Focus, how much should I expect to pay fo

$100-150 or more, dependent on whether or not you have the key-code that was with the car when it was new. Each key has a chip inside that matches up with your ignition...without that, the car will never start. Without the code it's harder to have a key made. If you have AAA I suggest calling them first. They will often times be able to do it, and if you have the membership it would be way cheaper than just buying a key from the dealer.

But yeah, the thing to take away from this is:

Never lose both Focus keys.

Default Re: Ive lost both ignition keys to my 2002 Ford Focus, how much should I expect to pay fo

Keys can be $35 to $50 each, depending on where you get it.

That being said, labour is about an hour's worth (so budget $100). Most dealerships will charge that much for programming. As Chalz posted, you're pretty much stuck without the code and you need all the chip codes and computer codes to match.

Suggestion: Get TWO keys made, and swallow the cost required to get those keys programmed. If you then feel adventurous, get another key blank with a chip, have it cut, and program it yourself following the instructions in the owner's manual. Then, you can take the third key and hide it in case this ever happens again.
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 53,000 km and 33,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

Premier Sponsor

You do NOT need the key codes and the chip codes are not recorded anywhere as they are not needed in order to program the car to accept new keys.

The dealer can run your VIN to get the key code (for cutting the blank) and the car is then programmed to accpet the new keys.

I would highly suggest keeping three keys at all times so if you lose one you can get one copied and program the key to the car yourself.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/

115$ programmed.

They cut me a blank for free though, but it only opens the doors.
    2011 Relfex Silver VW Golf 2.5L 5-Cylinder: I need some fancy Mercedes wheels for this thing...
    2004 Pitch Black 5spd 2.0L(Z) ZX3: Totalled 4/26/2011 :(
    Stuff left to sell off it: FocusSport Cool-Flo intake, H&R Rear Swaybar, Thule OEM Roof Rack w/ Fairing, Camber Bolts, etc.
    2008 Specialized Tarmac. 2010 Giant Anthem X2. Trek 1500. Fuji hipster bike. Boom.

Default Re: Ive lost both ignition keys to my 2002 Ford Focus, how much should I expect to pa

This site will save you money & give instructions on how to program the key/remotes: https://ikeyless.com/ You can get a key for $15 & remote for $25