Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rookie

Default Re: Rear Brake Drum Removal

I see. So before I get started on a brake job, I should have new shoes, drums, and dust cap handy. I guess a hardware kit wouldn't hurt either?
    Steve
    2006 ZX3 SES 5spd
    2003 F250
    1970 F350

Don't Call Me Gaga!
    Home of the unloved orphan automobiles. (CA)

I've found all the hardware to be fine for reuse.

Brake cleaner and anti-squeal are a must though... There are six(?) contact points where the shoe rubs the back-plate that if properly lubed will stop making that annoying Focus signature chirp when you lift off the brake pedal.

How many miles are on your car? Do you have ABS? You might be surprised to find that your rear shoes aren't very worn.
    I have too many cars.

Rookie

Just over 70,000 miles on the car. It has ABS. The front pads are almost done, I figure the rears can't be far behind. I figure that if I go to the trouble of removing the drums for inspection, I may as well do the replacement. If they don't need it, they will soon enough, I drive the car about 85 miles 5 days a week. I haven't noticed any chirping, but the parking brake doesn't hold very well anymore.
    Steve
    2006 ZX3 SES 5spd
    2003 F250
    1970 F350

Don't Call Me Gaga!

Ah... the ABS cars tend to wear a little faster.

I ask about the mileage, because every Focus I've seen with over 100k miles had most of the shoe material left, even with significant motorsports involvement.... but none of them have had ABS.
    I have too many cars.

Orange cones scare me

I dont have a problem removing the dust covers off my drums. Just get a skinny flat-head screwdriver and there should be a slight indent on one side and just pry there comes off easy. It's a pain in the butt to put the drums back together though i've taken a hammer already to beat them back on. BFH worked
    2001 Ford focus se wagon>>> traded in for my
    2013 F150 XLT 4wd 3.5l v6 ecoboost supercrew (4 door)
    2005 ford focus se ztw duratec manual

Rookie

Maybe I'll do only the fronts for now.
    Steve
    2006 ZX3 SES 5spd
    2003 F250
    1970 F350

Don't Call Me Gaga!

Quote Originally Posted by zach92r View Post
    It's a pain in the butt to put the drums back together though i've taken a hammer already to beat them back on. BFH worked
    That shouldn't be necessary unless you have the auto-adjuster too tight, which would cause excessive drag.

There is a rubber plug on the drum's backplate that you can use to wind the adjuster with the drum in place... using a long flathead screwdriver, adjust so that it just *gently* rubs without the hand brake or hydraulic brake engaged. I like to verify hand brake engagement as well.

Also, the hand brake cable is adjustable in the car at the handle. I prefer as few clicks as possible in my cars, and adjust them accordingly.
    I have too many cars.

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by OmniFocus View Post
    That shouldn't be necessary unless you have the auto-adjuster too tight, which would cause excessive drag.

There is a rubber plug on the drum's backplate that you can use to wind the adjuster with the drum in place... using a long flathead screwdriver, adjust so that it just *gently* rubs without the hand brake or hydraulic brake engaged. I like to verify hand brake engagement as well.

Are you sure about that ???? ... My two focus cars have no access for the self adjuster. Its set up with the self adjuster right under the wheel cylinder near the top of the brake drum which is different from any of other drum brakes that I have done work on. All the trucks I have worked on have an accessable self adjuster on the bottom of the brake drum.
    02 sedan se (aka The SC'd se)
    Focussport/VF vortech intercooled currently @ 201 whp & 186 wtq on 93 octane

Hey -- we don't know nothing about kids. So if you need something... Find it yourself. Or better yet, learn to do without.

Don't Call Me Gaga!

I'm not sure about that, I could very well be confusing all the cars I've worked on.

Either way, a BFH shouldn't be necessary to reassemble a drum.
    I have too many cars.

Rookie

Tell me more about the hand brake adjustment. Mine has always required to many clicks, and lately doesn't hold that well.
    Steve
    2006 ZX3 SES 5spd
    2003 F250
    1970 F350

Premier Sponsor

Actually you are supposed to remove the spindle,

From the Ford manual, The pics won't show up just text.

SECTION 206-02: Drum Brake 2001 Focus Workshop Manual
    REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Procedure revision date: 12/8/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brake Shoes

Material Silicon dielectric compound ESA-M1C171-A

Removal

All vehicles

Remove the parking brake control boot.
    Detach the boot clip.
    Remove the boot.

NOTE: Make sure the rear brakes are at a cool temperature.

Release the parking brake control to its lowest position.
    Loosen the parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is no tension in the cable.
    Remove the retaining clip.
    Loosen the adjustment nut.

Remove the wheels and tires. For additional information, refer to Wheel and Tire (204-04 Wheels and Tires, REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION).
    Vehicles with anti-lock brakes

Detach the wheel speed sensor wiring harness from the wheel knuckle and floor panel.
    Disconnect the electrical connector.
    Detach the clips.

CAUTION: Do not remove the brake drum by means of the hub retaining nut.

CAUTION: Do not damage the wheel speed sensor wiring harness or electrical connector.

NOTE: The wheel speed sensor wiring harness is routed through the wheel knuckle.

Remove the wheel spindle and wheel hub assembly.

Vehicles without anti-lock brakes

CAUTION: Do not remove the brake drum by means of the hub retaining nut.

Remove the wheel spindle and wheel hub assembly.

All vehicles

Remove the hold down springs.
    Remove the pins.

CAUTION: Do not damage the wheel cylinder boots.

Disconnect the shoes from the wheel cylinder.

Detach the shoes from the anchor block.

Hold the wheel cylinder pistons in place with a rubber band.
    Disconnect the parking brake cable.
    Push the lever inwards.
    Disconnect the cable.

Remove the lower return spring.

Remove the upper return spring.

Remove the primary shoe from the strut and brake shoe adjuster.
    Pull the shoe outwards.
    Disconnect the strut.
    Release the strut.

CAUTION: The strut support spring is under tension.

Detach the secondary shoe from the support.
    Move the strut downwards.
    Detach the parking brake return spring.

Installation

All Vehicles

Clean, check and apply silicon dielectric compound grease to the backing plate contact points.
    Install the strut support to the secondary shoe.
    Install the parking brake return spring.
    Move the strut upwards.

Install the primary shoe to the strut and brake shoe adjuster.
    Install the strut.
    Push the shoe inwards.
    Rotate the adjuster fully clockwise.

Install the upper return spring.

Install the lower return spring.

Install the parking brake cable.
    Push the lever inwards.
    Connect the cable.

Remove the rubber band holding the wheel cylinder pistons in place.
    CAUTION: Do not damage the wheel cylinder boots.

Connect the shoes to the wheel cylinder.

Connect the shoes to the anchor block.

Install the hold down springs.

Vehicles without anti-lock brakes

CAUTION: Make sure that the mating faces are clean and free from rust and foreign material.

Install the wheel spindle and wheel hub assembly.

Vehicles with anti-lock brakes

CAUTION: Make sure that the mating faces are clean and free from rust and foreign material.

CAUTION: Do not damage the wheel speed sensor wiring harness or electrical connector.

NOTE: The wheel speed sensor wiring harness is routed through the wheel knuckle.

Install the wheel spindle and wheel hub assembly.

Attach the wheel speed sensor wiring harness to the wheel knuckle and floor panel.
    Connect the electrical connector.
    Attach the clips.

All Vehicles

Install the wheels and tires. For additional information, refer to Wheel and Tire (204-04 Wheels and Tires, REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION).
    NOTE: The internal auto adjuster must be set and the brake shoes centralized to the brake drum.

Rotate the rear wheels and apply the brake pedal four times.
    Adjust the parking brake cable. For additional information, refer to Parking Brake Cable Adjustment (206-05 Parking Brake and Actuation, GENERAL PROCEDURES).

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Don't ask me why they say to do it that way, they just do. If you look up brake drum replacement they just say to basically remove the center nut and pull the drum.

I can say from experience that Focus rear drums can be a real bugger to get off the car sometimes but then on some cars they come right off.

Go figure.

Last edited by FORDSVTPARTS; Sep 17, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can also find us here http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/

Rookie

Interesting. Resurfacing the drums is not part of replacing the shoes? I thought that was always part of the job.

Can you post this section "Parking Brake Cable Adjustment (206-05 Parking Brake and Actuation, GENERAL PROCEDURES)".
    Steve
    2006 ZX3 SES 5spd
    2003 F250
    1970 F350

Premier Sponsor

Parking Brake Cable Adjustment Printable View (199 KB)
    Adjustment

All Vehicles

Remove the parking brake control boot.
    Detach the boot clip.
    Remove the boot.

NOTE: Make sure the rear brakes are at a cool temperature.

Loosen the parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is no tension in the cable.
    Remove the retaining clip.
    Loosen the adjustment nut.

Apply and release the brake pedal to make sure the rear brakes are correctly adjusted.
    Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
    Make sure the parking brake cable and conduit is correctly routed and located in its clips.
    Raise the parking brake control up four notches.

Tighten the parking brake cable adjustment nut until increased torque is noticed.

Apply and release the handbrake lever several times with sufficient force to settle the parking brake system.
    Vehicles with rear drum brakes

CAUTION: If adjusting the cable does not affect the plunger movement, then the cable is either damaged, binding or seized. Install a new cable and conduit. For additional information, refer to Parking Brake Cable.

NOTE: The total movement of both the left-hand side and the right-hand side plungers added together should be between 1 mm and 8 mm.

Check the movement of the plunger in the left-hand side and the right-hand side backing plates. If further adjustment is required, adjust the cable using the parking brake cable adjustment nut.

Vehicles with rear disc brakes

CAUTION: If adjusting the cable does not affect the caliper parking brake lever movement, then the cable is either damaged, binding or seized. Install a new cable and conduit. For additional information, refer to Parking Brake Cable.

NOTE: The total movement between both the left-hand side and the right-hand side caliper parking brake lever and the stop added together should be between 0.5 mm and 2 mm.

Check the movement of the caliper parking brake lever on the left-hand side and right-hand side. If further adjustment is required, adjust the cable using the parking brake cable adjustment nut.

Rotate the rear wheels to make sure that no brake drag is apparent.
    Install the parking brake adjustment nut retaining clip.
    Make sure the parking brake adjustment nut is in the correct position after adjustment.
    Install the retaining clip.

Install the parking brake control boot.
    Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake (formerly Tousley Ford) Proudly helping forum members build and maintain their vehicles with OEM and Ford Racing parts since 2004.

Rookie

Thanks. Where is the adjustment nut? Sorry, I haven't spent much time under my Focus yet. Thankfully, I haven't had to.
    Steve
    2006 ZX3 SES 5spd
    2003 F250
    1970 F350

Premier Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbedford View Post
    Thanks. Where is the adjustment nut? Sorry, I haven't spent much time under my Focus yet. Thankfully, I haven't had to.
    LOL, you won't find it under the car anyways.

It's where the cable attaches to the shift lever under the console.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast