Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Default Replacing stock tires. | Yokohama vs. Dunlop?

My wife's car (2000 ZX3) has just about run the OEM Goodyear tires off of the rims and it is time for some new tires. I've looked through the selection at the Tire Rack and have preliminarily decided on either the Dunlop SP Sport A2 or the Yokohama Avid Touring. Would anyone like to offer their opinions regarding either of these? Perhaps another tire that I should strongly consider?

Keep in mind that I'm looking for all-season performance. The OEM Goodyear tires did really poorly in the snow, so that is a consideration.

I'm also wondering about the cost effectiveness of ordering tires online. It would appear that the Tire Rack has excellent prices, but I'm wondering what the bottom line looks like after you factor in S/H and mounting costs versus buying locally.

Thanks in advance.

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Replacing stock tires. | Yokohama vs. Dunlop?

I'm in about the same spot and considering the same tires, anyone have any experience w/these?

Senior TEAM Member

I would look at these in an all season tread; these Continental ExtremeContacts are a decent all season tire and , as an example, cost $69 in a 205/55-15 at The 'Rack.

Buy from the Tire Rack and they can tell you where you can go locally for M/B with one of their dealers. It is still the cheapest way to get tires.

Of the two tires you mentioned, I think that I would give to nod to the Dunlops...

TEAM Member

These Firestones Firehawk Indy 500 tires seem to have the best all-season rating from tirerack. 53 bucks!

I have a set of Dunlop Sport A2s on a 2000 SE. They are okay tires, great cornering dry and wet, but accelerating hard in them I get a lot of slipping in wet and a little spin in dry. Still better than the stock Firestones I had. They are a little loud after putting 10,000 miles on them, but wearing okay.

When I picked them up it was just before I took a long road trip. During the trip, the car felt a little wobbly, and I thought it was the balance of the tires or my alignment was out of whack. Once I arrived at my destination (Clawson, Michigan) I took my car to a Goodyear shop near where I-75 and Rochester Road/Stephenson Hwy meet (peeps from MI will know). They checked the car over, found nothing wrong with it, but rotated the tires, all for free.

It seems the tires were a little out of round when I got them, but they smoothed out on the return trip. Good, trustworthy tires. I wouldn't buy them again, but they are okay.

TEAM Member

Yokohama Avid Touring's would be the best choice of the tires discussed. We're based in Indiana the tire has performed well in the snow for an all-season tire.

Senior TEAM Member

wow. $53 and $69 i paid over 125 per tire. but we are talking ultra high performance 215/45/zr17! but still fire hawks lol

Senior TEAM Member

I have the Dunlops that you mention, and overall I am sattisfied. Cornering and traction is great, average noise, but I have a problem with the wear. Well, that's what the tire warranty is for . I had them for about 35000 miles and I think that they are almost done.

Overall, I suggest you the Dunlops, price/quality ratio is excellent. I will probably replace my current Dunlops with a new set.