Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior TEAM Member

Default Treadwear Rating?

I tried asking this question in another thread but never received an answer so I thought I'd try here. (btw I tried calling Roger but he's gone today)
    What does treadwear rating mean? I have a couple of different tires in my mind but I'd really like something reliable that is going to last for a while.
    Is a treadwear rating of 480 good?
    I have read descriptions like this:
    "The Uniform Tire Quality Grading rating is a quality rating system developed by the American Department of Transportation. It is designed to tell consumers the relative performance of passenger tires.

Below is an example of a UTQG Rating:

150A B

The "150" indicates the treadwear rating
    the "A" indicates traction
    the "B" indicates temperature

The ratings are based on controlled conditions based on a particular course. A tire graded 150 would wear 1 and a half times as well as a tire graded 100. Traction ratings are AA, A, B, and C, from highest to lowest. This measurement indicates a tires ability to stop on wet pavement. Temperature ratings are as follows from highest to lowest: A, B and C. These measurements indicate the tire's ability to sustain high temperatures which often cause tires to wear away quickly or in extreme conditions lead to sudden tire failure."

but it still doesn't give me a good idea on how long the tires are going to last.
    How long is a tire graded 100 supposed to last?

Thanks for putting up with all my noobish tire questions lately!
    Wannabe SVT owner

[FJ] Addict

Default Re: Treadwear Rating?

480 is extremely good...but then again, it also means a hard material (not sticky)

usually with performance tires for the street, the goal is 280-320 tread rating

-chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatakula View Post
    Putting tint on your car would be like putting baggy pants on a hot chick.
    "Understatement Will Always Triumph Overstatement." - Phacade

Senior TEAM Member

I really don't care about 'performance' in that sense (no racing or autoXing here). I'd like them to last and be reliable. It's just a daily driver. Is there any way to put a mileage number on how long they should last from looking at the treadwear rating?
    Wannabe SVT owner

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nells
    but it still doesn't give me a good idea on how long the tires are going to last.
    How long is a tire graded 100 supposed to last?
    The biggest thing to remember is that it will vary from one manufacturer to another. so there is no real good way to say for sure. I have had tires with treadwear around 200 that have lasted ~12,000+ miles. I have seen other tires with tread wear of 280 last less than 10,000. It is really a thing of YMMV. If you are looking at two tires in the same brand, then you can compare wear ratings and the higher one will last longer under normal conditions.

Is there one particular tire you are curious about?
    Concrete is not my friend. Concrete is not my friend. Concrete is not my friend, regardless of how warm and comforting it may seem. Concrete is not my friend.
    Nearly giving people heart attacks since 2004

Senior TEAM Member

Well I was pretty sure I was getting the Kumho Ecsta ASXs, but while I was price comparison shopping I found these and was enticed by the treadwear rating on these thinking they might last longer (which is important to me). I've honestly never heard of them though. I'll have to look up the treadwear on the ASXs to compare.
    Formoza FD1

Performance All-Season

This is the tire for the quality conscious buyer who wants an affordable performance tire with excellent life. Driven by the need of increased comfort and performance, Federal’s advanced technology, TTIC, specially engineered a new PCR tire line, the Formoza FD1, with stylish tread pattern yet without compromising its quality, comfort and tire life. Made from advanced rubber compound, the Formoza FD1 has a long tread life, delivers a superior ride comfort on uneven road surfaces and produces minimal noise level for q quiet ride resulting in fuel efficiency. Excellent water evacuation. Low noise and comfortable ride. Maximized wet and dry performance. Superb steering response . UTQG RatingTreadwear 480 Traction A Temperature A
    Wannabe SVT owner

Senior TEAM Member

I feel better.
    My Hoosier race tires are "40" now, a few years back they were "0".
    Yeah, you can't really tell from one company to another. You have to look at tires in their lineup.
    If you look and see a comp. tire listed at 200 and their street tire at 400, you can count on twice the mileage. See what your's say, look at other tires by that company and you can get some idea.
    "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
    Yogi Berra
    www.rheacermotorsports.com
    JohnB, I have your hat.

[FJ] Addict

I really don't care about 'performance' in that sense (no racing or autoXing here). I'd like them to last and be reliable. It's just a daily driver. Is there any way to put a mileage number on how long they should last from looking at the treadwear rating?

no, its all speculation like car-manufacturer's MPG ratings (which will soon be forced by law to release accurate-reality MPG)

so yes it gives you a good idea when they say 12,000+ and all. But like MPG it all relies on many factors like temperature, driving habits, terrain type/area, altitude, etc.

-chris

Senior TEAM Member

Alright. I obviously have some unrealistic expectations of my tires.
    How often do people ('normal' city driving) generally have to replace their tires?
    Wannabe SVT owner

[FJ] Addict

Alright. I obviously have some unrealistic expectations of my tires.
    How often do people ('normal' city driving) generally have to replace their tires?
    haha im the last person to ask that.

I may not burn out everywhere, however i do drive very spiritly in my focus and any other car (push corners, braking, within speed limits.)

so my tires would definitely burn up faster than any normal driver, which is why i always shop for highperformance tires with the highest speedrating/treadrating possible. Because even tho tread rating will be lower than normal tires, they are built for speed thus reducing tire wear generally

Good luck

-chris

Senior TEAM Member

Nells - I don't think that you've indicated that you have unrealistic expectations yet. Different peoples tire life is going to completely depend upon the type of tire that they buy, the vehicle they are driving, and the type of driving that they do. Although you can't really get a very detailed idea of what sort of mileage you are going to get on a set of tires from it's treadwear rating , you can get a broad idea of what to expect. Using that, treadwear warranty, and as broad a range as possible of reviews from people driving cars in the same weight class as mine, is usually how I choose my tire if I am looking for mileage.

But I don't think it's out of the question to be looking for a tire which will provide a decent lifespan on a car which has mainly daily driver duty.

Make sure you're alignment is good when you put the new tires on though as a bad alignment will ruin new tires faster than anything.

Senior TEAM Member

The bottom line on the treadwear ratings is that they are relative to the other tires a particular manufacturer makes. So a 480 in Goodyear's line is different than a 480 in Pirelli's line. Or Kuhmo's line. But generally when you hit the 400's and above, you're into pretty durable tires.

The reviews on the Tire Rack website seem to be a good guide of what tire will last the longest (or shortest). It hasn't steered me wrong on the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S tires I've bought.
    Flashing lights in your rearview mirror getting you down?? Stop being cop-bait! 8)

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-73
    Nells - I don't think that you've indicated that you have unrealistic expectations yet. Different peoples tire life is going to completely depend upon the type of tire that they buy, the vehicle they are driving, and the type of driving that they do. Although you can't really get a very detailed idea of what sort of mileage you are going to get on a set of tires from it's treadwear rating , you can get a broad idea of what to expect. Using that, treadwear warranty, and as broad a range as possible of reviews from people driving cars in the same weight class as mine, is usually how I choose my tire if I am looking for mileage.

But I don't think it's out of the question to be looking for a tire which will provide a decent lifespan on a car which has mainly daily driver duty.

Make sure you're alignment is good when you put the new tires on though as a bad alignment will ruin new tires faster than anything.
    Maybe not in this thread, but cruizin has suggested I may have unrealistic expectations with my previous set of tires lol.
    Where can I find reviews of tires? I have looked at TireRack's reviews, but they don't carry all brands of tires either. Are there any other sites that have good tire reviews?
    Wannabe SVT owner

Senior TEAM Member

I've pretty much only used Tire Rack reviews and I find them to be a little hit or miss but mixed with all of the other information available for the tires they can be helpful.

I'm sorry I can't help you on reviews of non Tire Rack tires.

Senior TEAM Member

TREADWEAR
    The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear rate of the tire when tested under controlled conditions on a specified government test course *. The grading fixes 30,000 miles (48,279kms) as 100% Index, and the grading shall be in multiplies of 20.
    *The test course consists of three loops of a total of 400 miles (644kms) in the geographical vicinity of Goodfellow Air Force Base (AFB), San Angelo, Texas, U.S.A.
    (TEST PROCEDURE)
    * Run a car with test tires mounted till 6,400 miles (10,300kms) pass.
    (The tire is tested in convoy with a "base" tire so as to eliminate the variable of temperature and road surface.)
    * Measure the tread depth after each 800 miles (1287kms) run.
    * Then the projected worn out tire life is calculated. Fixing that 30,000 miles (48,279kms) as 100% Index.
    For example, a tire graded 200 would wear twice as well on the government course as a tire graded 100. The relative performance of tires depends upon the actual conditions of their use, however, and may depart significantly from the norm due to variations in driving habits, service practices, and differences in road characteristics and climates.
    "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
    Yogi Berra
    www.rheacermotorsports.com
    JohnB, I have your hat.

[FJ] Addict

Quote Originally Posted by rheacer
    TREADWEAR
    The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear rate of the tire when tested under controlled conditions on a specified government test course *. The grading fixes 30,000 miles (48,279kms) as 100% Index, and the grading shall be in multiplies of 20.
    *The test course consists of three loops of a total of 400 miles (644kms) in the geographical vicinity of Goodfellow Air Force Base (AFB), San Angelo, Texas, U.S.A.
    (TEST PROCEDURE)
    * Run a car with test tires mounted till 6,400 miles (10,300kms) pass.
    (The tire is tested in convoy with a "base" tire so as to eliminate the variable of temperature and road surface.)
    * Measure the tread depth after each 800 miles (1287kms) run.
    * Then the projected worn out tire life is calculated. Fixing that 30,000 miles (48,279kms) as 100% Index.
    For example, a tire graded 200 would wear twice as well on the government course as a tire graded 100. The relative performance of tires depends upon the actual conditions of their use, however, and may depart significantly from the norm due to variations in driving habits, service practices, and differences in road characteristics and climates.
    exactly. Just like i said....same "hypothetical ratings" as MPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast