Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tasca Auto Group

Default Vibration on highway

Im looking for some help here, I am getting a vibration in my 2001 focus ZX3 at speeds above 65. Just so everyone knows, I just put tires on it last Saturday and had it aligned. I then took it back and they rebalanced the tires. It help but not totally. I then took it back again and they told me the tires were perfect. The problem did start before I purchased the new tires so it could be possible. I have also replaced the ball joints, and the links between the torsion bar and the strut. The tie rods have no play at all in them. I was told that it could be the wheel bearings. With these bearings having balls instead of rods I think it could be possible even with no noise and shaking the hubs with the tires off for them to be bad. Any input is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    Will

TEAM Member

Default Re: Vibration on highway

Lift up the car, see if you have any movement in the wheel (leave the wheel on). If you do, replace the hub, easier than doing the bearings.

If the wheels are balanced correctly, that's about it for the vibration at highway speeds. Also, remember it could be the rear wheels as well. You should be able to tell if it's coming from a particular corner of the car.

Thanks for the help. I can only feel the vibration in the steering wheel, so I hope its only coming from the front. Also when you do the hubs dont you still have to take the spindle off the have the bearings pressed out, or does the hub and bearing slide out of the front of the spindle. Thanks for the help,
    Will

There are several posts in our Tires/Brakes section. I'll move this post there for additional input.
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 60,000 km and 36,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

TEAM Member

I have the same problem on my car as well! The steering wheel shakes a lot at hwy speeds. Let me know if you solve your problem and what was the cause of it.
    Black 2005 Ford Focus Zx4 ST
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3067845

Senior TEAM Member

I have this too, but it's not just at highway speed, it starts at about 25 mph but will go away when I turn my steering wheel to the right.
    Recon = bad.

Ford Focus Hawaii

2003 Black ZX5
    Mods: HID, LiveWires, Dirt

What condition are your tires in? I had the same problem on my Focus and it was caused by a tire being worn out of round.
    The OG 'jetter formerly known as 'robbyracer'
    2012 Focus SE Sport

TEAM Member

My tires are brand new
    Black 2005 Ford Focus Zx4 ST
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3067845

Rookie

maybe it's your cell phone
    Stay Focused
    TRP|Sparco

TEAM Member

most likely that the tires are not perfectly round. Tire shops will decline responsibility because there is no evidence that the tire is faulty.

Swap front ones to the back - see if that helps. Most likely the vibration will go away. Mine did. When I rotated them back to the front 10k later the problem did not reappear.

Have you folks tried a roadforce balance?
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 60,000 km and 36,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by robbyracer
    What condition are your tires in? I had the same problem on my Focus and it was caused by a tire being worn out of round.
    Got them feb 29
    Recon = bad.

Ford Focus Hawaii

2003 Black ZX5
    Mods: HID, LiveWires, Dirt

TEAM Member

I had this exact same problem. Road force didn't help one bit. Finally, I had to get Tirerack to replace two of my tires, although it helped slightly, the car rode better on stock steelies + tires.

and to rub salt in the wounds, Les Schwab scraped up the lip of my wheels. They still use center post machine.

FYI-my fairly new (18K miles) Kuhmo Ecsta ASTs seem to vibrate a bit at hwy speed. Looked into it, and discovered that there's no balancing out damage to wheels caused by NYC potholes. The Ford stock wheels on my 06 ST are so soft, they can bend from spanking city streets!! Final fix-buy the package of wheels and tires when you log onto TireRack.com!