Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack 2

TEAM Member

Question I need tires, DESPERATLEY! But cant afford new....

I cant afford to drop 300 on a new set of tires, does anyone know if it would be better to get a set of used? I don't do any racing or have any mods, its still bare stock. Im basically driving with a set of slicks right now lol.
    Thanks
    Shawn

I change diapers now focusownerskid's Avatar

Default Re: I need tires, DESPERATLEY! But cant afford new....

What size?

Local or do you mind paying shipping?

- Drew
    ///type dRew

'03 2.3 mtx ZX3 Liquid / '04 2.3 mtx ZTW / '02 Jetta atx 1.8T

TEAM Member

if your running on slicks get some used tires to get you by...
    A lot of their tires tend to be take offs.. but I will warn you if this is the 16" wheel the 205 50 16 is hard to come by in used just like in new...
    I went to a 205 55 16 (iirc common size) for a temp tire while new tires were coming in

TEAM Member

they are the 15 inch stocks. I wont mind paying shipping but again it depends on the cost.
    I'm just worried that having 4 different kinds or tires with 4 slightly different tread wear would throw off my alignment.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Minor
    they are the 15 inch stocks. I wont mind paying shipping but again it depends on the cost.
    I'm just worried that having 4 different kinds or tires with 4 slightly different tread wear would throw off my alignment.
    You should be able to find the 15's fairly easily and you will prolly find pairs
    so you shouldn't have anything to worry about with that.. put 1 pair up front the other in back. just inspect before they are mounted..

I'd think you'd be able to find something new in 15's for $40-50 a tire if you shop around. Keep in mind if you find something used you'll also have to pay for dismount and then factor in mounting and balancing which some shops charge more if you don't buy from them. Still probably run about $250 or so.

I'm not sure if you've already looked, but maybe keep an eye out on craigslist for some local stock take-off wheels that still have useable tires. You'd save on taxes and I've paid less in the past for OEM wheels and tires than I would if I had went out and just bought new tires. If money is really tight and you can't find anything, you might also hit up some of the local salvage yards. I know the self-serve yards around your area have had a few Focus starting to show up more in the last six months and a complete set of wheel/tires if you find some decent ones should run around $100.
    Eric H.
    '13 ST (Tux Black) - '04 SVTF (Screaming Yellow/EAP ZX3) - '02 SVTF (CD Silver - Vortech)
    '92 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T - '81 & '85 Chevy Citation X-11 - '93 Olds Achieva SCX W41 (x2)
    plus a Cobalt, a Neon, and a bunch of other stuff...