Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Continental ExtremeContact DWS?

I just noticed these are now popping up in most Focus applicable sizing (205/45R17, 205/45R17, and 205/50R16):

They sound pretty good based on TireRack's reviews, and with a 50,000 mile warranty. They are all-seasons as well. Pricing seems good.

Has anyone run these?

Mac: If you're reading this - Do these have a rim protector on them? Also, I can't tell if these are directional or not (i.e. so I can't tell if one can just rotate front to back, or I can criss-cross).
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 53,000 km and 33,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

TEAM Member

Default Re: Continental ExtremeContact DWS?

they look to have a lip protector.
    they are not directional, they are asymmetrical which means you can criss-cross.
    I have no seen them yet personally as the shop i work for usually only stock OE conti for volks and stuff.

they are a good price for a conti...

Rookie

Anybody interested in this tire might be interested in the following test of the Continental’s ExtremeContact DW and DWS vs. Goodyear Eagle F1 vs. BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS

http://mustangs.about.com/od/tires/a/tire-comparo.htm

Everything I have read about these Conti's is positive, so I'm gonna get 'em...
    Last year when I got my Focus, it was equipped with the BFG g-Forces. They were pretty well worthless in wintery conditions (despite only slight wear), but I won't knock their performance as a non-winter tire.
    Last edited by ElectricAl; Feb 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM. Reason: more info

TEAM Member

These tires are asymetrical. they are not directional and can be cross rotated. They are the best inclimate weather (SNOW) of any all season. There is better stearing feel with the Bridgestone 960AS PP or Michelin Sport AS+, but niether can kep up in the snow or rain.

There is a lip protector, how far it sticks out varries depending on tire size.

TEAM Member

I run the extreme winter contact in the winter and the summer contacts in the summer. all seasons I do not like. I guess I am lucky to be able to afford to have both. But performance with control in any season is awesome.
    2003 svtf comp. orange #3495. euro package, euro grill
    born 8-3-03

Egz
    Inheritly Sinister

I've been thinking about getting a set for the Fusion. I'm still hemhawing over getting really good all-seaons, or cheaper-more-of-a-summer tire and a set of winters.

Senior TEAM Member blueovaldave's Avatar

I bought one of the first sets that Tire Rack sold and love them. Very little road noise. Work very well with my slightly agressive suspension setup for daily driving. Run good in the rain/wet.
    So far after about 10,000 miles I have zero complaints about them.
    2001 S2 Liquid Grey, PWSC
    2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
    2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
    www.ourismanchrysler.com
    http://www.emraracing.org

I have these in a 215/40/17 and I really like them. Pretty good in snow and rain, not as sticky as the Hankook's I had previous, though.
    Steve-
    2003 Infra Red SVTF #1396
    Hating the Traction Control. Loving the Engine Heater...

For you that are running them: How's the dry handling and noise, say, at highway commuting speeds (60-ish) on an asphalt or concrete surface?
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 53,000 km and 33,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

When I say not as sticky I meant dry. I def overdrive the tires from time to time. Initial turn in feels real good. I only hear exhaust noise while driving at any speed so I can't help you there. Overall, I really like them esp for winter/spring. I'd like something stickier for summer but it's always a comprimise.
    Steve-
    2003 Infra Red SVTF #1396
    Hating the Traction Control. Loving the Engine Heater...

Imma boob... nuff said.

All i can tell you is my g35 got stuck in my parking lot at work with hankook evos and now with these tires its quite a bit more capable in winter conditions. I dont drive the car hard or anything so from a touring car perspective they're pretty good. Performance wise... I'll get back to you in spring.
    There's no place like ::1!!

$3|\|10R 734/\/\ /\/\3/\/\B3R Ph0R L1Ph3

Senior TEAM Member sonicblu3zx3's Avatar

I know this thread is a year old, but I just saw it....I'm going to be needing some tires probably at the beginning of summer. Right now (and practically since I've owned the car...it has 115k miles on it) I have the BFG G-Force Sport tires (215/45/17). I tend to drive a little crazy at times, but nothing serious. Most of my driving is to work and back, and on the highway. Occasionally I like to hit a curvy road or hit an on/off ramp at a good speed. I do like to drive spirited when I go to the mountains. The problem with the BFGs is they don't last very long... 25-30k miles, and they suck in the rain even when new. And don't ever try to drive on them in snow... won't go very well.

I hear good things about this Continental tire, but I'm a little apprehensive to try them. If I could be sure that I'll still be able to go fast on the on-ramps and not feel like I'm going to fly off the road....that, and get better traction in wet/snow, and get more miles out of them....I'd buy em in a heart beat.

Anyone have experience with these?
    JCM Racing #316

2005 Sonic Blue ZX3
    K&N Typhoon CAI, FS 2.25" exhaust, F2 V3 header, ST200 wheels with BFG G-Force Sports (215/45/17), SVT rear bumper, Ford Racing Dynamic Suspension Kit, Progress 22mm rear swaybar, FC strut bar, RS wing, Vent visors, rear seat delete kit, interior upgrades

baker of shartmuffinz hyprshart's Avatar

i currently have a set of 215/45 17 on my car and i am amazed by how they stick even in the snow. at first when i got them i was worried because they felt really slipper at highway speeds. after the broke in they are like glue. if they last as long as everyone says they do i will buy them again

Senior TEAM Member sonicblu3zx3's Avatar

Slipper at highway speeds? How so? Do they do good in dry on corners?
    JCM Racing #316

2005 Sonic Blue ZX3
    K&N Typhoon CAI, FS 2.25" exhaust, F2 V3 header, ST200 wheels with BFG G-Force Sports (215/45/17), SVT rear bumper, Ford Racing Dynamic Suspension Kit, Progress 22mm rear swaybar, FC strut bar, RS wing, Vent visors, rear seat delete kit, interior upgrades

baker of shartmuffinz hyprshart's Avatar

no they were slippery when new, like they had alot of sidewall movement in lane changes at highway speed, kinda scared me a little at first

after a couple hundred miles it was gone and they feel planted everywhere.

also there is a street near my house that is 100% ice, me and my sister had a little competition, who could stop the quickest from 25mph. she has an 07 sebring with and she said it would win cuz it has ABS

even without me having ABS i beat her by a good 7 feet won me a few bucks too

ohh she has a brand new set of yokohama avid TRZ in 215/55 18 (well they have about 4k on them) which are a world better then the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02

but hers are standard touring all season while the conti are ultra high performance all seasons
    Last edited by hyprshart; Jan 8, 2011 at 4:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast