Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Default What causes tires to become 'egg-shaped'?

This is actually for my gf and her 1990 Honda Accord. Her father helped her out by getting her new tires, and they're not more than 1.5 years old (maybe they were used, I can find out). I think they were all-seasons. Either way, just recently she started saying that the car would shake like crazy while driving at faster speeds. Her father brought it back to his mechanic of 20 yrs who said the tires were egg-shaped and had to be changed.

I googled a bit and found it would be:

-tire defect: belt seperating.
    -bad suspension: causing excessive wheel hop
    -bad tire mounting and balancing

I'm almost thinking and the mechanic is cutting corners a little?
    Last edited by ChrisRobin; Apr 11, 2011 at 2:35 PM.

Default Re: What causes tires to become 'egg-shaped'?

If they really are "egg shaped":

Most likely separated, put the spare on or replace immediately. Do not drive on it. The layers in the tire separate and pressurized air leaks through and causes the bulge. If you can see the bulge yourself replace the tires.

If the tires are round:

Bent rim or out of balance tires. If the tires aren't separated have them balanced.
    Last edited by scyzzo; Apr 11, 2011 at 9:14 PM.

They've already been replaced... I'm just wondering what causes 1.5 year old tires to do this.

Senior TEAM Member MrBirdman330's Avatar

Improper balance and rotation can be a huge factor. Tires need to be balanced every other rotation.
    Basically its a place where HOLDEN and FORD fans go to have a massive fist fight and then, in the interval when the paramedics goes in some times a car race breaks out! - Richard Hammond

Rookie

If you can't see any defects in the tire sound more of a balance problem .. If they balance takes more then 1.5 of an Oz. the rim has a weld bead when made that is not visible for cosmetic reasons .And a tire has 4 places that it is joined together. If you break the tire down on the rim and give it a 1\4 turn can help with balancing ..

TEAM Member

impact would be the number one cause if they did not shake, and now do! If they were once smooth, the balance was also once good.

Take tires to a good tire orientated shop. Have them run a force machine on them. That will tell you if you have high radial run-out or excessive force. Which is usually seen right when the tire is mounted. If after 1.5 years of use...I'd want to see that force data.

Check balance, alignment, rim condition, and suspension components.
    NASA GL/MW TT-F

Smike Racing (link)

Sponsored by: Swift Springs / GTWorx / Goodyear Tire Company / MSURacing.com / EBC Brakes / Amsoil