Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Default How many engine/transmission mounts?

Here we go with "no dumb questions": On my 2000 with the Zetec engine, I know there is a "dogbone" transmission mount below. I also know there is the easily visible passenger side motor mount above. Is there another engine mount (or more) and where are they located? Trying to see if I got ripped off by a mechanic. Thanks!

Default Re: How many engine/transmission mounts?

Welcome to FocalJet.

There should be three engine mounts: Driver side; Passenger side; and the "dog bone".

What did your mechanic charge you for?
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 519,000 km and 324,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 47,000 km and 29,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

He replaced the top passenger mount and what he said was "the second one that is hard to get to...I may as well replace that one while I am at it, and you can't tell if it is bad". The problem is that three months later, I had to replace the dog bone. The bushing was totally shot and there was a good two inches of play. It ripped hoses loose, made an awful sound, and made getting into first gear an adventure. I'm just trying to figure out if he charged me for replacing that dog bone without actually doing the work. I don't think there is any way that thing goes bad in three months. On top of that, the passenger side mount he used is missing the rubber insert and the cap. It just plain looks wrong. But I want to have all the info I can before I go back and imply the work was incorrect.

Can you tell from your invoice if you were billed for three mounts? Did your person use Ford/Motorcraft parts or aftermarket parts?
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

Yep--the invoice says three mounts. I had sworn he had said just two. The job was done on Feb 19. Do you agree with me that there is no way a bushing should completely fail in four and a half months?

Quote Originally Posted by rambler11 View Post
    Yep--the invoice says three mounts. I had sworn he had said just two. The job was done on Feb 19. Do you agree with me that there is no way a bushing should completely fail in four and a half months?
    Anything can happen once a part goes on a car. If it fails within a very short time, it's either the part that's defective or the person installing the part didn't do a good job.

Does your invoice say what brand of parts the mechanic used? Were they genuine Ford or Motorcraft parts, or are they aftermarket? The ones from Ford or Motorcraft usually last a long time. I'm hearing the cheaper aftermarket ones don't last that long. There have been a few posts in here where people (or their mechanics) used cheaper aftermarket ones and have had them go bad in a short time.

Does your mechanic offer some sort of warranty on the services provided? If so and you're within the terms of that warranty, take it back. I'd also insist or get the Ford/Motorcraft parts, if you can. It might be more money, but it'd be worth the investment.
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |

Thanks for your help--headed to mechanic on Monday. Before I do, one more question: The driver's side mount--is it located up top like the passenger side? Don't know what the driver's side one looks like or where it is located.

TEAM Member

the driver side is exualy a transmition mount and it sits on top of the transmition close to the shifter linkage

TEAM Member

oh and if u still running the stock air box u might have to remove it to be able to see the mount

Being as it is the Zetec engine, you will have to move the airbox to actually see the drivers side mount. I replaced all three of my motor mounts in a days time.
    Black 2003 SVTF