Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Capaldi Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default spark plug question for 2000 focus

I want to change the spark plugs for my moms focus (2000 dohc) and the guy @ autozone says I have to use iridium spark plugs or it wont run right.....any advice as its not my car and I don't have the manual at the moment. thanks in advance

Default Re: spark plug question for 2000 focus

Use Ford Motorcraft Spark plugs, Nothing Else.

Trust me, and stay away from Bosch - they suck. (In the focus)
    Resident AEM, K&N and Spectre Performance guy.

how about ngk iriduim?
    green 01 zts
    soon to be a monsterrr

NGK = Honda + Nissan

Denso = Toyota

Autolite (Replaced by) Motorcraft = Ford

AC Delco = Not good enough for a Lawnmower but good enough for a Chevy.

Champion = Dodge

This is from a Google search, so take it for what it's worth.

It's best to stay with the factory Plugs, heck anyone who does any modifications will run a stock (OEM Brand) maybe a step colder here and there for boosted applications but for the most part STOCK is best.
    Last edited by goldsex; Jan 30, 2011 at 2:43 PM. Reason: Fixed info.
    Resident AEM, K&N and Spectre Performance guy.

autolite and motorcraft are one in the same. but motorcraft>all. no ford ive had that was stock ran right with anything but motorcraft
    03 Sangria Red zx5 Recaro equipped :)
    "Honda Hunter-From x-games big air jump to 3 fat chicks scrape."

Go back to Autozone, ask for the manager, and then ask for the district manager. Tell the them you do not appreciate being given false information by their counter people.

Things like this are unfortunately very common. Few counter people are knowledgeable about what they sell. What they can do is work a mouse and a keypad to access their parts catalog. Once they are on the part's screen, the options for available parts are shown and it is up to them to offer you the options. You may ask for opinions, but expect to be steered towards the more expensive product every time and just like in your case, misinformation can be used to make an up sell.

It is unfortunate, but that's the car parts and repair business. It can be hard to find a good mechanic who isn't going to find a way to make more money off of you when you need their service. It is also hard to get the right information you need from parts places and even dealerships.

I am lucky in that I have an honest shop where I live and have gracious friends who know their stuff and provide help. If you need replacement parts or are looking to buy Ford Racing upgrade parts, do yourself a huge favor and contact Steve at Tousley Ford. Steve is a great guy to work with, extremely knowledgeable, and has the best prices. The customer service is second to none.
    ____PERFECT CIRCLE AUTOSPORT IS TEAM DYNAMICS #1 NORTH AMERICAN SPEC ORDER WHEEL DEALER!

Check out Perfect Circle Autosport's Team Dynamics wheel offerings in the New Products and Deals forum!

Quote Originally Posted by 20focus03 View Post
    autolite and motorcraft are one in the same. but motorcraft>all. no ford ive had that was stock ran right with anything but motorcraft
    Autolite/Fram is not the same as Motorcraft. People often get this confused, myself included at one time. Motorcraft is what you want.

From Wikipedia:
    The Ford Motor Company launched this auto parts division (Motorcraft) in 1972 to provide replacement parts and original equipment parts. This brand replaced Autolite as Ford's official parts brand. Autolite is still a brand name in use today, but is now owned by Honeywell.
    ____PERFECT CIRCLE AUTOSPORT IS TEAM DYNAMICS #1 NORTH AMERICAN SPEC ORDER WHEEL DEALER!

Check out Perfect Circle Autosport's Team Dynamics wheel offerings in the New Products and Deals forum!

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by mekon View Post
    I want to change the spark plugs for my moms focus (2000 dohc) and the guy @ autozone says I have to use iridium spark plugs or it wont run right.....any advice as its not my car and I don't have the manual at the moment. thanks in advance
    Hello,
    I am the technical manager at Autolite. Lots of opinions in this forum. Our Iridium alloy spark plug, the XP5364 is an excellent choice for your car. If you want to find out why, go to autolite.com, open the tech info tab and watch the videos on heat range and spark plug metalurgy. To dispel some common myths, yes some brand of spark plugs do a poor job of matching heat range and some brands do an excellent job. We run a cold box dyno and three rating engines to make sure we match our plugs flawlessly. Autolite is one that does an excellent job. As for the Motorcraft fans here, Motorcraft does not and has never manufactured spark plugs. 75% of the MC plugs you buy are made by Autolite, the rest are made by NGK. I strongly encourage you to watch the videos so you understand how plugs that are not OE are matched by our company. Outside of chinese and european made spark plugs, there are only four manufacturers of spark plugs, Bosch, NGK, Denso and Autolite. There are plenty of brands, made by the big manufacturers. We absolutely gaurentee the XP plugs to work great in your engine for five years. Who else does that?

correct. they are not owned by ford,but once were same thing and really still are.. should have been more specific....
    03 Sangria Red zx5 Recaro equipped :)
    "Honda Hunter-From x-games big air jump to 3 fat chicks scrape."

No you do not have to run iridium, or platinum for that matter the plain ole copper work just fine. Irid and plat will last longer yes, copper are good for about 10k while the irid/plat for 100k, but for performance they all pretty much do that same job some just last longer then others. Use anti seize on the new ones thread and change before 100k(if you get irid or plat). That reasoning is because the longer the plugs are in there the greater the chances of them being a bitch to get out which could lead to a 30$ job becoming substantially more than 300$.

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by 20focus03 View Post
    correct. they are not owned by ford,but once were same thing and really still are.. should have been more specific....
    Ford motor company has not owned Autolite since 1967. The only association they have with ford is they make about 80% of the motorcraft plugs, the rest of the mc plugs are NGK's

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by bflesher View Post
    No you do not have to run iridium, or platinum for that matter the plain ole copper work just fine. Irid and plat will last longer yes, copper are good for about 10k while the irid/plat for 100k, but for performance they all pretty much do that same job some just last longer then others. Use anti seize on the new ones thread and change before 100k(if you get irid or plat). That reasoning is because the longer the plugs are in there the greater the chances of them being a bitch to get out which could lead to a 30$ job becoming substantially more than 300$.
    No offense intended but you are wrong about several things. Iridium fine wire spark plugs take less voltage to fire, make a larger flame kernal and make slightly more power and economy than any other kind of spark plug. That car is designed to have iridium plugs from the factory, the coils are sized for that. Ford also says not to use antisieze on spark plugs as do most all OE manufacturers, it can alter the heat range when it gets on the motor seat of the spark plug. You can learn all about plug metalurgy, heat ranges and ignition troubleshotting by going to autolite.com, open the "tech info" tab at the top and watch the autolite challenge videos

TEAM Member

Welcome to the forums Motorking. It's always good to have more knowledgeable people on these forums to keep the debates from devolving into complete misinformation.

There will always be disagreements as to what is the best plug, etc., but I appreciate people who take the time to back up their statements with research as opposed to hearsay (not intended as a shot against anyone here, just a general statement).
    2000 Twilight Blue ZX3
    2013 Performance Blue ST (CDN)

My 02 zetec came with platinum AZFS 32FE

Rookie

there are two plugs i run in my cars, and nothing outside of them. OEM motorcraft and autolite's

the built engine in my stang has autolite copper cores. had nothing but good luck with those plugs, and the cylinder head manufacturer actuallyrecommends the autolite copper cores.

the focus gets motorcraft's or autolite equivalent

ive run ngk and denso iridiums and bosch platinums...absolute garbage, and dont even get me started on those gimick +2 and +4 plugs

but hey im just a mechanic, i dont know about cars
    1986 Mustang notch. AFR headed 306. Liberty built T-5 11 seconds in the 1/4
    2004 Focus ZX5 2.3 Duratec. Stock...for now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast