Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

MFactory Competition Products

TEAM Member

Default slave cylinder/ master cylinder?

when do u know when the slave and master cylinder are bad? my clutch pedal doesn't feel as stiff. it feels funny. hard to get the stick in gears. i have to double clutch to get it in.

need help
    please guys

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: slave cylinder/ master cylinder?

It does sound as if your hydraulic clutch may be going bad. The first thing to try though is to bleed the clutch system, which should be like bleeding the brakes. When you do this, also flush the system out completely-bleed enough fluid through the clutch so that the fluid is completely clear. It won't take much fluid to do this and it may take care of the problem. While hydraulic fluid doesn't get "used up" like motor oil, it can get contaminated with water, air or other stuff. Before you try bleeding the clutch, look carefully for any sign of a leak at each cylinder and at the pressure hose. You should also look under the dash to check out the back of the clutch master cylinder. How is the fluid level for your clutch? if it's low, you most likely have a leak somewhere.

TEAM Member

does the clutch feed off the power steering fluid?
    if it does...it is full, but the fluid looks kinda dark... not clear at all

Senior TEAM Member

It is fed from the same fluid resevoir that feeds the brake master cylinder, but should have some kind of separator so that a loss of clutch fluid won't cause problems with the brakes. it's normal for brake and/or clutch fluid to get dark after a few years-I don't know why. Brake fluid loves water and will readily absorb any moisture from any surface/source that it comes in contact with, including the atmosphere which is loaded with moisture, which is why you must always use a new, sealed, container of brake fluid whenever you add fluid to a brake/clutch hydraulic system. Water and air=enemies of a vehicles brake/clutch hydraulics. Never use a container that has been opened previously, even if only a little bit has been used from the container. Most car manufacturers actually recommend changing out the brake fluid evry few years, but almost nobody does it until they have a problem with their brakes or clutch.
    I have worked on cars previously where flushing/bleeding the brakes has taken care of a soft/no pedal situation but if that doesn't help, you will have to replace at least one component of the clutch system.
    I got a really cool pressure bleeder system from Focussport a while ago to bleed the brakes on my ZX3 and it works great! only cost about $50. Its not necessary to bleed brakes/clutch, but does work great.

TEAM Member

my brakes are fine. when i press down on the clutch i can start the car. i tried to drive the car todaY. I NOTICED I COULD PUT THE CAR IN GEAR WITHOUT PRESSING THE CLUTCH. AND I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE!!!!!I'LL REV THE ENGINE AND THE CAR WON'T GO ANYWHERE. I DO NOT SEE ANY FLUID LEAKING. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

TEAM Member

i was told by the ford parts dept that the slave cylinder have given problems with the mtx75

Senior TEAM Member

It's not too clear from your nest to last post, but are you actually able to put the car in gear and then start the car but it won't go anywhere? If that is the case, then your whole clutch is gone.
    You should still be able to start the car, in neutral, even with a bad clutch master/slave cylinder because the clutch interlock start switch is simply a mechanical switch actuated when the clutch lever is pressed and isn't connected to the hydraulic system in any way. Also, you should be able to shift into gear with the engine off and without using the clutch pedal, it's just a little stiff doing it that way. Those two things are normal. If the first part of this reply is incorrect, then I still recommend bleeding the system first, then if that does not work, replace the master cylinder. Good luck-keep us posted.