Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

TEAM Member

Default stripped cam bearing cap bolt...what to do???

damn! i stripped one of the cam bearing cap bolt. what to do now?? i thought these suckers were suppose to be torqued pretty low (like around 10lbs ) but this one bolt is stuck in there pretty good. tried cutting a slit on the head of the bolt and tried twisting it off with a flat head, but the bolt didnt even move my cousin has a tool called "easy out" that'll take stripped bolts out. anyone every tried something like that? or have any ideas on what i should do????

Default Re: stripped cam bearing cap bolt...what to do???

The easyout is probably the best bet. Make sure it is a good quality tool though. If you use a cheap one they are just as likely to break as remove the bolt. If it does break then it is a real pita to drill through the broken easy out 'cause they are harder steel than the bolt.

Nate

TEAM Member

Did you break the bolt or strip the threads?

It sounds like you broke it off. If so, the EZ Out is one solution. Another is to mig weld a nut onto the broken bolt and twist it off.

You may have to resort to a torch to warm the broken bolt for the EZ out to work.

You may wreck the threads even with an EZ out since drilling is hard work. If that is the case, you can probably come up with a Helicoil repair.

Given all the metal chips that may be flying around with the EZ out attempt, you may want to remove the head and take it to a machine shop in order to have the Helicoil installed.

Make sure you keep things clean!

Senior TEAM Member

This happened to Doogie too. We gave up and I think he just bought new parts. Its a huge pain in the ass. Sucks to lose an adjustable gear and Crane cam.

TEAM Member

Did you break the bolt or strip the threads?

the head of the bolt is stripped. i think i'll try the ez out. if that doesnt work then i guess a set of crower stage 2's and unorthodox cam gears will be up for sale soon

sct
    TEAM Member

If it's not too screwed up by now often you can hammer a 6-pt socket one size smaller over the head and remove it. Usually there will be an SAE size just a bit smaller. I'd save the EZ out as a last resort. If it's just the bolt head you can cut it off, then use locking pliers on the rest of the bolt (or a stud remover if there is enough left).

sct
    TEAM Member

I forgot to mention never use a 12pt socket on anything

TEAM Member

SO TRUE. Why do 12pt sockets exist? Seriously

Senior TEAM Member

SO TRUE. Why do 12pt sockets exist? Seriously
    Some bolts are 12 point, if you worked in a garage or worked on a variety of vehicles youd understand. j/k

Senior TEAM Member

I am looking at a head I have here in the shop, and those bolts look like the E-Torx...which is the inverse of a torx fastener. I'll have to bring my E-torx to work tomorrow to verify.

That maybe why you are having the troubles you are. Or, it could have been cross-threaded when the head was assembled.

If you find that the threads are ruined when you get the bolt out, you may be able to use a Heil-A-Coil to repair/replace the threads.

I hope this helps.

Tony D
    New Edge Performance

TEAM Member

Some bolts are 12 point, if you worked in a garage or worked on a variety of vehicles youd understand. j/k
    More cars than you worked on boy.

TEAM Member

If it's just the bolt head you can cut it off, then use locking pliers on the rest of the bolt (or a stud remover if there is enough left).
    i tried using the ez out but the tip of the extractor broke off so the next thing i did was drill off the head of the bolt, slid the bearing cap off and unsrewed the rest of the bolt with my hand now i just need to wait until the new bolts come in from ford and hopefully the rest of the install will be no problem

Senior TEAM Member

More cars than you worked on boy.
    boy?