Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack

TEAM Member

Default Do you really need it? Exhaust manifold heat shield...

Trying to find the source of some serious exhaust noise I found that my exhaust manifold heat shield was disintegrating and being held on by one bolt and rattling like heck on the car (hence causing my noise problem). I removed the remaining bolt and pulled off the heat shield in pieces.

QUESTION: Is this thing really worth $42 and about a half an hour of my time to replace? I know what it is there to do, I can see how close the mani is to the other tubes and etc on the car...

What do the engine experts think? Let me know as soon as you can, I've got the National RallyX to compete in this weekend and 15hrs of highway driving round trip to put on the car.

I'd rather not set fire to my car on the drive up to the event - much too embarrassing. Once I'm there, well, whatever happens in the heat of battle...

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Do you really need it? Exhaust manifold heat shield...

Well, if you put a header on the car you don't run a heat shield, and it would seem to me a header would give off more heat than that chunk of iron that is the stock manifold, so I don't see the reasoning for keeping the shield on there. So, save yourself the time of removing and installing the heat shield and just leave it off, plus looking at your sig, it looks like you're planning on a header, so why bother with the heat shield.

Senior TEAM Member

You'll be fine. My turbo sits in that area. The plug wires did get crispy on me but your wires are on top so you'll be ok. Paint on the hood looks fine too.

shameless turbo plug

Don't Call Me Gaga!
    Home of the unloved orphan automobiles. (CA)

I love that engine bay.

Senior TEAM Member 1FocusedHokie's Avatar

You'll be fine. My turbo sits in that area. The plug wires did get crispy on me but your wires are on top so you'll be ok. Paint on the hood looks fine too.

shameless turbo plug

Wow. I've never seen an SPI that looked so good.

And I ran without a heatshield on my last car for 2-3 years. No issues.

TEAM Member

Thanks guys I was hoping to hear that it wasn't really needed. Logically, I knew that, but it helps to hear it from someone else.

And I second the motion - That engine bay ROCKS! Some day I hope mine will clean up that nice... but it will likely have something that starts with a "V" instead, no disrespect intended.