Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Thread: Timing belt

Default Timing belt

I have a 2000 ford focus zx3 2.0 zetec Need to do a timing belt,looking for a how to. Specifically looking for timing marks/pins and any thing else needed to do this,tricks,tips,or other parts that should be replaced while in there. Heard of tsb's about changing tensioner and pulleys inside timing cover. Anyone know anything about it.
    -Thanks

GIO
    TEAM Member

Default Re: Timing belt

yeha it is pretty simple if you are mechanically inclined if not u may want to check out some ford dealers...well, if you are get yourself a timing pin and camshaft lock bar...u can get it from some ford sites..i bought mine as a set

GIO
    TEAM Member

sorry got kicked off....anyway, i think momentum motorsports or ebay....well also matters if you a have a udp ...u 1st have to align your cams with the bar that goes on the driver side of teh notches on the cams...that will determine if your at tdc........cause the bar will only fit only at tdc and then once u did that u simply start taking apart your t-belt cover , mounts, etc you should replace your idler pulley and the t-belt tensioner

Senior TEAM Member

Buy a haynes manual. Best 15 bucks you'll ever spend if you're interested in learning how to do things yourself. It's a decent size project but not too hard to learn if you're so inclined. Chiltons book is pretty good too, but I always seem to go back to the haynes if any questions come up. I'm on my 4th haynes book for the focus. haha. Buy em at any autoparts store and read up before you crack into any project

g

Senior TEAM Member

Thats money i would gladly pay somebody to do if i could afford it. Ford charged me $400 to replace my alternator, wonder what the price tag would be changing a timing belt????
    Color: Pitch Black
    Performace:160whp
    Interior:painted cluster trim, vents, climate control trim cherry red
    Exterior:new unpainted hood, black projector headlights

Super Moderators

!!!!! $400! omg it's an hour job 1.5 tops
    2013 Subaru Impreza WRX | Strictly | Focused | 2002 Focus ZX3 | 2009 Volvo C30

myFlickr

[FJ] | Sponsors | Store | Guidelines | Ext. How-To | Int. How-To | Mid-Atlantic | [FJ]

TEAM Member

I'm probably going to have it done at a dealer. I was quoted $400. I mentioned getting the water pump replaced too. That made it just under $500. I would do this myself, but I'm a bit paranoid at messing up the timing. At the same time, I wonder if some careless tech is more likely to screw it up. Anyway, any thoughts on whether this is a good price quote. Also, do I really need a new tensioner and pulley too (more so than the water pump)???

TIA
    2000 Black ZX3 - 176k miles, Bridgestone Potenza RE960, KS dual halos, Spal power windows, map lights, 3M full metallic tint, Polk GXR57 rears, Polk EX369 fronts, power locks, alarm, intermittent wipers, K&N filter, airbox resonator removed, fog light mod, SVT suspension kit, rear camber bolts, poly-u rear endlinks

It's really not that hard to do. If it's your first time, it will be a real good learning experience.

Senior TEAM Member

Buy the haynes manual whether you choose to do it or not. You can sit and read it front to back pretty easily and when you need info it's all in there. If you can turn a wrench and have a decent set of tools, reading up on the process should tell you whether you want to tackle it yourself or not. No shame in not wanting to get into it, almost every day I wish i didn't know how to do all this stuff. haha.

g

Quote Originally Posted by mr.squatch
    Buy a haynes manual. Best 15 bucks you'll ever spend if you're interested in learning how to do things yourself. It's a decent size project but not too hard to learn if you're so inclined. Chiltons book is pretty good too, but I always seem to go back to the haynes if any questions come up. I'm on my 4th haynes book for the focus. haha. Buy em at any autoparts store and read up before you crack into any project

g

yeah son listen to this piece of advice right here.

there were a lot of things I was unsure of when removing my intake manifold and everything else I've done to the car, this manual explains it so freakin well.

the timing belt shouldn't be that hard to do if you have the right tools (TDC pin/cam alignment tool, cam gear tool) its just a few hours of work because you have to take off the drive belt and take off some pullies to get to the timing belt.

if you dont have those tools, you need to be 450,000% sure that you dont rotate those cams 1 little bit because stock cam gears are not adjustable so you will have to spend a few more hours trying to figure out your timing once more..

and yes, $400 is NUTS. the belt costs you about $35 from Steve, and maybe 1.5 hours work. so $125 Canadian for labour.

if your going to pay $400, bring it over here and I will do it for $300

TEAM Member

OK, I'll reread my Haynes manual. I could buy quite a few toys with that. So where's the best place to get the timing belt kit, belt, and pump, pulley, and tensioner?
    2000 Black ZX3 - 176k miles, Bridgestone Potenza RE960, KS dual halos, Spal power windows, map lights, 3M full metallic tint, Polk GXR57 rears, Polk EX369 fronts, power locks, alarm, intermittent wipers, K&N filter, airbox resonator removed, fog light mod, SVT suspension kit, rear camber bolts, poly-u rear endlinks

Super Moderators

Steve @ Tousley Ford
    FJ name FORDSVTPARTS
    2013 Subaru Impreza WRX | Strictly | Focused | 2002 Focus ZX3 | 2009 Volvo C30

myFlickr

[FJ] | Sponsors | Store | Guidelines | Ext. How-To | Int. How-To | Mid-Atlantic | [FJ]

TEAM Member

I did it without the special tools. I made my own cam alignment tool with a few strips of metal I had hanging about. Just make sure it inserts into both slots and stays there - mine was niece and tight.

And I used a piece of wood dowel in the spark plug hole on cylinder #1 to be sure I had TDC.

It's all explained in the Haynes manual. Simple really.

Mind you I had the engine on the bench at the time - maybe that's why is was so easy!

Good luck.

Simon

haha yeah thats probably why it was so easy, no bending over