Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior TEAM Member slverfocus13's Avatar

Default battery light on and off

this probably started on Monday of this week and my battery light came on and i know i had a old battery. Everytime i would be idling my car would start to drop RPMs and even at times it would shut off. So i bought a battery (Optima Red Top). And even yet my battery light still turns on and off..the car never stalled out when i am driving or dropped RPMs just when i am idling at a red light. I brought it to Ford and they said the alternator is running fine and the only problem they saw was the MAF sensor and i had a coolant leak...they said that should fix the battery light problem because the MAF was sending signals to the computer saying i was 3,000ft above sea level and i live in FL. I got the car back today and it did it again the battery light came on and the car just shut off...so what is the problem?
    Gone: '02 Ford Focus ZX3
    Gone: '99 Subaru Impreza WRSX
    Soon to be driving: 2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X
    AWD is fun

Default Re: battery light on and off

dpfe? ever get that checked/changed?

what is dpfe?
    AWD is fun

its the recirc of the gasses, sometimes if that isn't functioning properly it could cause problems like your having, if you havent had the recall on it done, get it done, also, get your fuel filter recall done too, if you haven't already.

either that or check your engine grounds, and the battery cables to see if they are frayed or melting

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by slverfocus13
    this probably started on Monday of this week and my battery light came on and i know i had a old battery. Everytime i would be idling my car would start to drop RPMs and even at times it would shut off. So i bought a battery (Optima Red Top). And even yet my battery light still turns on and off..the car never stalled out when i am driving or dropped RPMs just when i am idling at a red light. I brought it to Ford and they said the alternator is running fine and the only problem they saw was the MAF sensor and i had a coolant leak...they said that should fix the battery light problem because the MAF was sending signals to the computer saying i was 3,000ft above sea level and i live in FL. I got the car back today and it did it again the battery light came on and the car just shut off...so what is the problem?
    I just went through this last week (I have a 2001 ZX3). Turned out the hot lead (red lead) on the three wire alt connector was bad/loose. Got a new pigtail from Ford (20 bucks) and now all is well.
    Yes, I drive the speed limit. Below 10,000 feet it's 250 knots.

my alternator just doesnt keep charging
    AWD is fun

GIO
    TEAM Member

u should check your fuse un der the hood for the dlc connector...cause my battery light was on and i thought it was my alternator since i had 45 k on it and never replaced it so i figured it was time to replace anyway..well, i replaced it and still the same problem,,,,but i noticed when i hooked up my scanner to see if there were any stored coeds , my scanner didnt have any power to turn on..so i checked my fuse and it was blown,,,and that was my fix a blown fuse........it also caused my vehicle to run erratic and stall occasionaly....so u can go ahead and check it.....i think it is fuse # 10 its a 20 amp fuse under your hood

Senior TEAM Member

DPFE=Delta Pressure Feedback EGR. It's the sensor that tells the EGR what to do. A failing DPFE sensor can cause a stutter/stumble sensation at steady throttle state, usually around 2500 RPM, causing a feeling like the car is surging. It's a relatively inexpensive part to replace, with several internet discount parts retailers marketing them for around 20-25 dollars a piece, plus a little bit for shipping. Make sure you shop around, so you don't get ripped off and spend 45 dollars for that part.
    Lookin' fast in the slow lane
    RIP, Jellybean (11/16/2001-6/16/2008)...you will be greatly missed.

2003 Infra Red ZX3 SVT-Totally stock...FOR NOW!

no its nothing like that at all....when i am at a red light or a stop sign and the car is idling normal around 750 or 800 rpm the car starts to drop rpms and the battery light turns on...or sometimes the light just turns on when the car is idling and doesnt drop rpms. Once i start to drive the light turns off...this doesnt happen all the time; its just random.
    AWD is fun

Senior TEAM Member ridindirtyzx3's Avatar

i just had the same problem for the last couple weeks. about 3 weeks ago, my battery light would randomly go on and off. this happened for about 2 weeks. i changed the battery, and that still didnt help. then last week after i was drivinig for a lil, my car wouldnt restart. i needed AAA to come and tow my car home. i had a local ford dealer do some diagnostic stuff to it, and it was my alternator. so i hadta replace that. i know u said ur problem isnt the alternator, but i just thought id share my problem with u because they sound alot alike.

well it probably is the alternator its just that i had it replaced last year around the same time...i dont have a sound system in there or anything like that...i just hope that if i get my alternator replaced my car will finally work and then i can start to finish my car and make it into a weekend warrior/ daily driver
    AWD is fun

TEAM Member

check all your conections and grounds and it does sound like an alternator problem take it somewhere else and have it rechecked

Quote Originally Posted by slverfocus13 View Post
    I have the same exact problem. I took it to the ford dealer and they replaced my alternator and battery cables and the light still comes on randomly when I stop at light. It goes away while driving. I took it back to the dealer and they told me it could be my computer but they are not sure. This is very frustating to go through this because I paid over $800 and the problem is still there.
    Last edited by myfordfocus; Sep 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM.

TEAM Member

battery terminals or weak/failing alternator/weak failing battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartland Badger View Post
    Let me tell you a little story about my ford focus. My 7 year old car, that I paid less than 20,000$ for now needs maintenance after years of faithful service. And I irrationally now have an intense hate on for ford. The end.

Ps. I don't know how forums work, so I'll pick a topic at random and post there.
    Fixed it for u.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast