Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broken Timing Belt

I have a shot at buying a 2003 SVT that broke the timing belt on the freeway. Normally can I expect broken pistons or just bent valves? Everything else on this car seems real nice. Any guess on what this will cost me to repair, I will do all the work except i will take the removed head to the shop. It broke the belt at 90,000 miles.

TEAM Member

Default Re: Broken Timing Belt

There shouldnt be anything wrong as these engine are non interference

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by turbozeteczx3
    There shouldnt be anything wrong as these engine are non interference
    Wrong ....

SVT = interference because of 10.2:1 cr and high lift cams
    Non-SVT zetec = non-interference

There is a possibility that there is no damage, but it is more probable that valves and possibly pistons are damaged. If the spark plugs are pulled and inspect with an optical scope OR the head needs to be pulled to check.
    02 sedan se (aka The SC'd se)
    Focussport/VF vortech intercooled currently @ 201 whp & 186 wtq on 93 octane

Hey -- we don't know nothing about kids. So if you need something... Find it yourself. Or better yet, learn to do without.

I <3 UC^3

How much? You'll be very luck for there to be no damage. Expect head damage or worse.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST
    1985 Nimbus Grey Merkur XR4Ti

Have a Focus ST? Check out FJ's partner site, Focus ST Network

I mean no offense in saying this but the amount of frustraition you will most likely incur for this car will not be worth the horses and performance it will give you. It'd be one thing to buy a Supra with no timing belt. But a focus just isnt truly worth it. Especially since no one can for sure tell you wether or not its in ok condition on the inside. In my opinion i think that the damage inside the motor will be severe. When i went inside a maxima that blew the timing chain goin 55 down a highway it was completely totaled the fix the motor it would have costed more then a new one of that motor with less miles on it. I could see if it was in park and the timing went maybe you could get away with it. But highway + no timing belt = lots of motor inertia with nothing to keep it in line
    2001 Focus ZX3 (Totaled)
    1987 CRX HF (For sale)
    1987 BMW 325 (Current Daily)
    "I dont see how I can have so many haters, knowin im dey father like my name is darth vader."

Senior TEAM Member

All SVT's are sticks the engine will turn as long as the tires are moving. So expect a chewed up head and valves and maybe some saveable pistons. Optimistically I would say you would have close to a grand in everything if you did most of the work yourself.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's

Oops! My mistake.
    Last edited by 243jimb; Mar 23, 2009 at 2:13 PM.

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by 243jimb
    See posts Nos. 2 and 3! Non interference engine means that the valves and pistons never occupy the same space, ergo no damage. It should be easy to establish though; put a new belt on (properly timed) and start the engine.
    Jim.
    SVT's are interference engines!!!! I didn't just wright everything above just for ****s and giggles.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's

I <3 UC^3

The SVT motor IS interference and there is most certainly damage unless the owner was really lucky (idling or at very low speed). Since it was at the highway turning 3k RPM I'm guessing, I'd be willing to guess it got trashed.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST

Senior TEAM Member

i would say it depends on how much your paying for the car
    2000 Autumn Orange ZX3 "Op Orange"
    Only regret the chance's you didn't take
    Rule #32 Enjoy the little things

Unless your getting it for like 600 dollars. Stay away from it. Thats my opinion.
    2001 Focus ZX3 (Totaled)
    1987 CRX HF (For sale)
    1987 BMW 325 (Current Daily)
    "I dont see how I can have so many haters, knowin im dey father like my name is darth vader."

I <3 UC^3

There are still the whole body kit, interior, brakes, suspension that is still worth a good amount.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST

TEAM Member

save yourself the headache and get a crate motor with head and engine.. if you can get the car for 2k or less its a steal imho.. esp if the trans is in good condition

I think if you just do a motorswap you can prolly do this for about 3K or less replace clutch complete motor and any other necesities... or you cold go to a boneyard and find a low milage SVT and get trans and motor and go from there.

Don't Call Me Gaga!
    Home of the unloved orphan automobiles. (CA)

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train
    Unless your getting it for like 600 dollars. Stay away from it. Thats my opinion.
    Good thing it is just your opinion... The "it is just a Focus" attitude that is cropping up around FocalJet is what is creating an erosion in the quality of our membership.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a fixer-upper, no matter what kind of car it is.

I've poured my blood, sweat and tears into my nine-year-old 124k mile Focus, and I don't expect to stop just yet... and something as minor as a few bent valves and nicked pistons wouldn't make me change my mind.
    I have too many cars.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by OmniFocus
    Good thing it is just your opinion... The "it is just a Focus" attitude that is cropping up around FocalJet is what is creating an erosion in the quality of our membership.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a fixer-upper, no matter what kind of car it is.

I've poured my blood, sweat and tears into my nine-year-old 124k mile Focus, and I don't expect to stop just yet... and something as minor as a few bent valves and nicked pistons wouldn't make me change my mind.
    YES! its not "just a focus" it might be "Just the next project" but i enjoy these things! Fun to drive, enjoyable, the ZX3 is my fave body style! These cars are great! In my opinion if you own anything other than an focus you own "Just another car"

Oh and hint, don't bash the focus on the FOCUS forum..... silly!

If that SVT is close to atlanta i will take it! I have been wanting one of those beauties!
    Jeff
    Racing for Jesus since 2003'!
    03' ZX3 - for sale $2000 cash w/AC
    03' ZTS Centennial Edition *Kie Kie* ~EAP's~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast