Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any problems with the 02? ive heard of motor mounts and transmission problems? im thinking about buying one. i found a 02 SVT with 79k miles with timing belt just changed for 4900. the guy swapped the tranny to an 03. anyone have electrical problems? if he were hard on this car how likely is it to break when i get it. basically im asking if these motors and all are really durable? any advice appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Durable, yes. They are pretty robust. Reliable? Eh. There is a lot of finiky systems that can go bad in a moment's notice like the VCT, the variable length intake port, etc..
But regardless of that, they are a flippin' blast to drive. I have an '02 SVTf and love it dearly.
Its definitely not something to show off though, as most will not understand what it is. Its moreso good for making people eat their words of mockery. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Durable, yes. They are pretty robust. Reliable? Eh. There is a lot of finiky systems that can go bad in a moment's notice like the VCT, the variable length intake port, etc..
But regardless of that, they are a flippin' blast to drive. I have an '02 SVTf and love it dearly.
Its definitely not something to show off though, as most will not understand what it is. Its moreso good for making people eat their words of mockery. lol

How often do those go bad? and how much is it to fix?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Its about 3 grand every month to patch it back together, but totally worth it to drive still. Lol Jk They aren't like a clutch or anything; they just kinda go when they want to if they are going to at all. Ideally they'll outlive the car, but who really knows?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I only had mine for 4-5 months and I'd say that the engine and transmission are fairly solid, plus I've "known" the car since new almost. I've been on this forum since I got it and I think that most of the problems with the SVT are more annoying than true reliability problems.

So for I inherited the car with...

- a bad thermostat housing.... easy fix/improve and they suck on all Zetec Foci
- alternator, which seem to suck on all Zetecs
- leaky axle seals.. well the car is 7 years old.
- bad drivers side heated seat
- rattling heat shields that can be fixed with a pack of washers
- bad ignition cylinder, worn front endlinks are common on all 00-04 or maybe later Focus'.

The clutch went out many many many miles ago when my friend owned it, but it hasnt given him or me a problem since. It's likely that the clutch couldve been replaced on that '02 you're looking at.

The only electrical problems that I read about are alternators and loose battery cable connections... oh and the alternator plug which is a fairly easy fix.

You can get parts from Tousley Ford on this forum, they have the best prices anywhere. I ordered twice already from them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine has been dead reliable except for wheel bearings in the rear. Like most said its a solid car with a few minor problems.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The engine and tranny are indeed tanks. Built for plug and play turbo action, everything is over engineered for NA applications, so if you keep it at that that main components like that aren't a concern what so ever.

·
Registered
98 Posts
True. I have an 02 SVTF and just replaced the clutch at 98k miles. Put in the Luk kit and it holds like brand new. Only other mod is EAP wheels and Borla Exhaust. Damn northern VA required cats so that has to stay unless I can pick up a high-flow set.

It's my daily and don't see doing much to it. But I plan on a CFM dogbone (lower engine mount), VF driver's side mount (passenger side is brand new), and maybe a short shifter. Everything else is upgraded at maintenance time (brakes, pads, lines, plugs, wires, coil). They are good little cars so long as you are good to them.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
There were some new and innovative technologies introduced on the SVT. It's a quirky car, and there have been issues in the past. After three models years, they were able to pretty much get them solved.

As with any car, it's really all about how your maintain it.

·
MS Paint PWNS ME!
9,807 Posts
Mine's at 187k miles and it's treated me pretty well in the past 110k I've had it.

I've replaced (maintenance wise):

clutch
rear O2 sensor (died at 100,003 miles)
thermostat housing
clutch master cylinder (twice)
timing belt (twice) (didn't fail, preventative maintenance)
parking brake cable
rear cliper
alternator and pigtail
plugs/wires
rear wheel bearings
axle
my DSI box/controller is going out, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have a CEL
brakes, obviously

the list is in no particular order, I just typed it as I remembered things. But keep in mind all this was since I bought it over 100k ago.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
There are several members on here with well over 100k on their SVTs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have a SVT, but I hit 170k this morning on the way to work.

Currently I've had:

• rebuilt transmission
  • 2 alternators replaced
  • 3 passenger headlamp sockets replaced
  • timing pulley replaced
  • power steering leak fixed
  • fried negative battery cable
The transmission problems started when my husband rear-ended someone, so I'm going to blame him for that one. :lol: The alternators shorted because the power steering would leak onto them whenever we turned the wheel while driving. After we blew the first alternator, they realized exactly what was going on and replaced it for free (it was under warranty) and patched up my power steering.

The electrical stuff (battery cable and headlamp sockets) are a mystery to me. I figure that getting the battery cable replaced completely will stop the melted socket problem.

All in all, it's a very fun car to drive with some annoying problems. Currently, I need to get my window motors replaced. (3 of them failed).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just now found this on the Wikipedia page.

In testing the suspension in 2000, Motor Trend writer Jack Keebler noted "The Focus' average speed of 62.6 mph through our slalom makes it faster around the cones than a $62,000 Jaguar XJ8L and a $300,000 Bentley Continental. The impression is of having plenty of wheel travel for gobbling the larger stuff and big-car, full-frame isolation when encountering expansion joints and smaller road imperfections."
Nice. =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts