Ford Focus Forum banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
And the (as predicted by me) winning K&N kit has arrived. If the weather cooperates, it will be installed on Saturday by my son.
How do you like it? Haven't heard an update.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since you've only just put it on you probably haven't noticed anything yet, but it seems like some of the K&N kits have clearance issues with the MAF housing (see http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4226942&postcount=12). I'm not sure if its something you can tell during install or just an extra noise you hear while driving.

Any difference in performance/sound under 4K RPM? Any difference in sound at idle?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Mine did not have that issue. The MAF was almost centered in the hole.

There is a difference in sound below 4K RPM (and all RPMs) at large throttle openings. Not sure about performance. The dyno says so, but I didn't notice it like I did what happens at higher RPM. There is no difference in sound at idle or cruise, which is exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is there any need these days to disconnect the battery for the computer to relearn anything after a mod has been done? I remember being told to with my '98 Ram.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Is there any need these days to disconnect the battery for the computer to relearn anything after a mod has been done? I remember being told to with my '98 Ram.
I didn't when I installed my FSWerks intake. Things have progressed a lot since your 98 was built. So I think just drop in and go. But maybe Ronnie can comment and say what he did/recommends

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't see why that would be necessary with our cars, which have ECUs that constantly adapt the ignition timing, monitor the air charge density, have interdependent, constantly variable cam timing, and adaptive octane sensors...

·
Grassroots Sponsor
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Injen still for sale!

I didn't when I installed my FSWerks intake. Things have progressed a lot since your 98 was built. So I think just drop in and go. But maybe Ronnie can comment and say what he did/recommends
I didn't disconnect the battery or anything when doing the tests. I just installed per the instructions that came with each kit. With the oxygen sensors they have been using on modern cars, the vehicles tend to respond pretty quick to air/fuel changes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
K&N intake arrived in the mail today. Maybe this weekend I'll get to throw it on. I'd like to clean under the hood first. Gotta find my Simple Green and electrical tape.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Put my k&n in last night! Gotta say though, i was happier with the sound of the stock box with the lid off but i love the power the k&n added so I'm keeping it

Sent from my DROID4

·
Grassroots Sponsor
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Injen going on Ebay! Username: ModernMotorworks

·
Registered
88 Posts
My MAF wasn't centered on the hole so i drilled a new hole about a quarter inch above the old one. Now its perfect

Sent from my DROID4

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Going back to the negative battery thing, step 1 of the K&N instructions say to disconnect it. It doesn't say why though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Installed the K&N intake yesterday. The sound is awesome... growls down low and screams up high (right at 3.5K RPM). I had my Magnaflow exhaust resonator removed the day before, so trying to remember what it sounded like and what exact sounds are attributed to the intake is a little tough. Regardless, I love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does the k&n use a velocity stack like the steeda? I am severely torn between the 2, really wish we has a dyno on the steed a also. I'm off from work for a week and really want to get one ordered and here.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Does the k&n use a velocity stack like the steeda? I am severely torn between the 2, really wish we has a dyno on the steed a also. I'm off from work for a week and really want to get one ordered and here.
I am sure that either is nice and would accomplish what you want. Unless you want absolutely the most power possible. Then it would make a difference. But I am sure if you are just daily driving it then it wouldn't matter

161 - 180 of 207 Posts