Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm trying out tapatalk on my phone so I am hoping this is getting posted in the correct area.

I got a 2013 Focus ST with 60,000Km and I noticed around 57,000Km, the brakes starting squealing really bad. I'm familiar with Ford brakes always have a squeal to them, my 2013 Mustang GT had squeaky brakes and so did my F150 however, the ST is unbearable.

When I hit the brakes at any speed I will get this squeal. You notice it the most at city driving speeds and stopping for a red light or stop sign.

I took the ST into the dealer and they charged me for a brake maintenance. They mentioned I had lots of life left on the pads (9mm and 7mm). I took the car home and the squealing was still bad. I took the car back in and they did another check only to tell me the exact same thing, there is nothing wrong.

Just the past two days the brakes seem worse then they ever were. I'm not talking a light squeal you normally here time to time when weather is wet or in colder temperatures. This is a loud, high pitch and very annoying squeal any time my foot hit the brake. Even when light touching or feathering the brake.

I called Ford and they told me its the brake pads and there is nothing they can do. They mentioned its a hard ceramic pad and that is the nature of the beast. I don't really buy it. I can understand some squealing but not this much.

Has anyone else ran into this or is it really just the brake pads?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
It's probably a little late, but every time I've heard of brake pads squealing, it's been solved by smearing brake grease on the back (not friction side) of the pads.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's probably a little late, but every time I've heard of brake pads squealing, it's been solved by smearing brake grease on the back (not friction side) of the pads.
Agreed. I'd start with putting anti-squeal grease on the backs of the pads. I'm running the stock pads on my '13 ST and there's no squeal at all after 2+ years of driving. By contrast, the Hawk HP+ pads I got for track days provide excellent stopping power, but THEY squeal like crazy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts