Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of 11 minutes ago, I was promoted to civilian. :)

I'm now unemployed, I've got a car up on jackstands, and my fridge is almost empty. Truly living the American Dream.

On the plus side, I'm well into my masters program and I'll be kicking in my GI Bill in a few weeks which'll bring in a few hundred bucks a month, plus I sold back 60 days of leave, plus they owe me 8 years of BAH differential (idiots at Maxwell lied/screwed up) plus separation pay. The only reason I care about finding a job is to get healthcare besides Tricare in 6 months when mine runs out. That is the most expensive health plan I've ever seen. For myself and my son it's about $800 a month. A MONTH.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Congratulations! CH33 GI Bill should be more than a few hundred a month though. E-5 w/ dependent rate for OKC cant be that low. Did i remember right that your off to Utah soon?

Either way, congrats again and hopefully you can find a job with nice bennies to cover health insurance once Tricare is finished.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My masters program is online (from a real school, no AMU here) so BAH is half the national average, which works out to a little under $700 a month. If you attend any classes physically, then it's based on the school's ZIP code.

I'm not too concerned about the job thing. In a perfect world the ANG unit nearby will get enough money to actually hire me for the job I interviewed for, since it's exactly what I did for 2 years at Tinker. That'll get me the coverage I need and even though it's a slight pay cut to be a GS-11, the cost of living makes it a push. Plus the whole "never going 3 years without seeing my son" thing that the current ops tempo caused. This year I used about 45 days of leave, I'm selling back 60, and I still lost some.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I offer you congrats and my sincere gratitude for your service.

Too bad about the Nat. avg. BAH thing. In Northern NJ, it's over $2K a month, a significant stream of income. Good luck with the ANG...

·
Go ahead - ask me how Chalz' huge, bulging, fearle
3,240 Posts
I really should pay more attention to this forum. Congrats on the DD-214 bud. I get mine in 137 days and a wake up.

Unrelated but hear's hoping that you and yours were unaffected by last night's tornadoes in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the storm here wasn't too bad. A little bit of light hail (dime-sized) and a lot of rain, but it passed in like 30 minutes. Last week's was worse, I was worried about the car outside but it still worked out. I've actually only seen one twister here, and that was at a decent distance and it never dipped more than halfway down to the ground. That part of the storm was swirling as it passed overhead though, but didn't dip again (I was in the door to the shelter taking video lol).

Three days after I got my 214 I was applying for my GIB. Worth a lot more as a vet than active duty.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
My plan was to use my GIB when I got back to the US, thanks to this crap hole, I fight traffic instead of going ot school. I'm burning this bridge with a nuke when I get a new assignment. Hell I'll even take a GS-07 just to get the hell out of here.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm chasing a contracting job in Boeing that pays around six figures...the downside is that I've missed the last 8 years of my son's life already. Plane tickets from Seattle are much more affordable than they are from OKC (OKC is more than double), so I'll be able to visit more often but I dunno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts