Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go on Netflix and look up "Weekend of a Champion". Available on disc or to stream.

It was made by Roman Polanski at the 1971 F1 race at Monte Carlo, he spent the weekend following Jackie Stewart around. There's a ton of great footage along with a nice little modern addition to the end of the film.

Can't recommend this film highly enough.

-Steve

·
Registered
840 Posts
I started watching this a while back… After I watched "Senna"... but never finished it… big Jackie Stewart fan, classy Scotsman and a true pioneer…

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Thanks for the tip Steve, for some odd reason I never heard of it, I'm definitely going to check it out... Stewart, nuf said!

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Just watched it. You're right Steve, it's one of the better race films.

Driving tips and philosophy from Stewart are great (Alain Prost must have been listening). The behind the scenes look was really fun, especially during that time when racing was so deadly. And the race scenes were excellent... I loved the corners and esses they picked for the film, showing the on-throttle twitch-and-drift of direction change at speed, of F1 cars with only the smallest amount of aerodynamic down force. Stewart was so great.

The re-edit of additional material from 2013, showing how far the sport has come since '71, thanks in large part to Stewart, was excellent. Totally agree with your recommendation! Thanks again for the tip.

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stewart was/is still an incredibly interesting guy, I loved listening to the way he analyzed himself and other drivers. It's that kind of thinking and the ability to drive a track consistently that makes for a world champion, other drivers may be just as fast in qualifying or on the odd fast lap but it's that clinical ability to drive the exact same lap every single time and do it quickly that separates the good from the truly great.

-Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts