Ford Focus Forum banner

Awards

18K views 58 replies 8 participants last post by  Ataru 
#1 ·
A listing of all of the awards needed will go here.

#29 ·
I agree with what Jamie and Matt have said.

-There only needs to be two awards for autox (best time, best novice time). Jason, you of all people know that autox classes aren't awarded by individual car models as there are usually a variety of cars in each class. ST's shouldn't be in their own class because they're boost/have more power because that's not what wins at autox.

But back on track. Here's what I feel we should do for awards...

2000-2007 FOCUS HATCHBACK - MODIFIED
2000-2007 FOCUS SEDAN / WAGON - MODIFIED
2002-2004 FOCUS SVT
FOCUS SPECIAL INTEREST (ROUSH, SALEEN, MACH, KONA, ETC...)
2000-2007 FOCUS ALL - STOCK
2008-2011 FOCUS
2012+ FOCUS
2013+ FOCUS ST
FIESTA

Finest Five of Focus Rising x5 (with one being a "Finest Five Winner" award, so 5 in total)

FR Attendee Pick
FR Ladies Pick

Dyno day:
Highest HP Naturally Aspirated
Highest HP Forced Induction

Limbo:
Lowcus Limbo winner (if Matt is bowing out again this year, then shall we eliminate bagged cars in general? Esp since it's only Matt and Kyle?)

Sponsor Picks:
One award for each sponsor, or each sponsor who contributes over a certain amount. (I'd say for each sponsor that contributes enough to help fund/pay for their award)

Autocross:
Novice: First timers only
Fiesta and Focus: All (including ST's)

Engine Bay
Exterior
Interior
Wheels
OEM+
Conversion
Race-Prepped
Boost
Stance
Game Changer
Longest Distance

I know this is pretty much Matt's list, lol, but this is what i agree with. I would say one suggestion about the whole "finest five shouldn't get any other awards" deal would maybe be to not have Finest Five but have something more along the lines of "Finest of FocusRising" and just have one main winner. That would eliminate some awards and give more people chances to win all the other awards and not have five people only leave with one award.

Also, if we are concerned on awards costs, I can check with Mary and her mom and see if she can help us out as I believe the new company she works for still does trophies as well.

#31 ·
I think this sums it up nicely. I like the idea to only have one Finest award. There can be only one best car, but the others can win in their respective categories. As far as the limbo is concerned, do we know if the hotel is even going to have somewhere for us to do it? The Quality Inn was nice because it had the big lot for trucks behind it. Does the Motel 6 have something similar? If not then the limbo awards are unnecessary because we won't have anywhere to hold the limbo.

#30 ·
Yes, I know autocross classes are not based on single models but last year the STs did post times a full second faster than any other Focus. That's the reason I went with splitting it up into 4 classes. Last year we had 6 classes based on modifications. This year I wanted to simplify it but still entice people out to run.

Just seems odd people wanting to add so many classes for the show but take away the small amount for autocross.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

#32 ·
We will be at the showfield for the awards and food and not motel 6. Aslong as schedule is similar then that's where it will happen.

A single finest award for the top car makes sense if I'm understanding correctly. Basically best of show award

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
I think we feel as if the autocross awards shouldn't need that many is because they only go to the people who WANT to autocross (20 or so cars). The other awards pertain to our entire group (200 cars). This is just like the dyno day we don't put ST's in a separate category. The ST's may be running 1 sec faster than a NA car, but what about a boosted one? So do a novice award, an autocross award (Non-ST), and an ST autocross (includes Focus & Fiesta).

I also agree on going one step further and not doing the finest five and just doing Focus Rising's Finest. Let's hammer this out!

-Matt

#38 ·
It depends on the show. I've been to some where it's just the car class award and others where they give out best paint, best interior, best engine bay. I haven't seen the other awards given out at other shows, but I also haven't entered that many shows.

I know I want to meet things halfway. We don't need as many awards but I want more than just the car class awards.

#36 ·
I have no idea, Ron. I haven't been to as many shows as I used to to be able to compare.

And I also agree with Matt on the autox stuff. We could do a novice class, all foci and fiesta (non st) class and an all foci and fiesta (st) class. That would give at least three for autox. I mean, you did beat a cobra before Jason, so I don't see why a properly set up mk1 focus couldn't beat either model ST.

#37 · (Edited)
I was 1.4 seconds behind the fastest ST time in a stock SVTF on good Street tires. Brian Schindler in his track prepped and properly set up SVTF was 0.7 seconds behind that ST as well.

I'm not sure about William's experience but I think Chad was in his first season of autocross and he was the winner. Combined, Evan and I have probably 18 years of autocross experience and we still couldn't topple their times. Brinton was also 1 second faster than Evan or me in his ST on stock tires and the only time he has autocrossed is at Focus Rising.

The STs are fast, really fast. On that course the STs torque definitely helps their time when coming out of the corners on each end of the course.

I put some thought into it when I decided to go with 4 classes.

#39 · (Edited)
Car Show:
2000-2007 FOCUS HATCHBACK - MODIFIED
2000-2007 FOCUS SEDAN / WAGON - MODIFIED
2002-2004 FOCUS SVT
2000-2007 FOCUS ALL - STOCK
2008-2011 FOCUS
2012+ FOCUS
2013+ FOCUS ST
FIESTA

Engine Bay
Interior
Exterior
Stance
Longest Distance
Best female built/owned

Best of Show​

FR Attendee Pick - Everyone with a car in the judging can vote for their favorite
FR Ladies Pick - Open to ladies who attend the event with their significant others.​

Dyno day:
Highest HP Naturally Aspirated
Highest HP Forced Induction​

Limbo:
Lowcus Limbo winner. Just one class again this year for all cars. Just for fun.​

Sponsor Picks:
One award for each sponsor, or each sponsor who contributes over a certain amount.​

Autocross:
Novice: First timers only
2000-2014 Focus and Fiesta
2013+ Focus ST & Fiesta ST​

I took some of the input and made the list above. With this list we're down to 24 before the sponsor picks are added in.

#41 ·
Looks great!

#42 ·
Looks good to me!

#51 ·
It pisses me off that people are worried more about awards than anything else. I'm personally willing to go with either list, but I honestly think people not going because there is "less awards" is stupid and they're not going for the right reasons anyway.

-Matt

#52 ·
It's different for us tho Matt, we go to see each other and hang out, some are just going for the show or have done work they feel they need recognition for (we all do) it's just one part of the weekend but it is the main event.

Ken also started the finest five a few years ago, wouldn't be a bad idea to keep it going and continue with the idea of the top car on next years promos. Seems to of worked fairly well so far.

However we did go over this months ago for the most part this list Jeremy posted was a good option and I think will satisfy those going. We have more people and higher quality cars every year coming so let's keep that momentum

#53 ·
It's different for us tho Matt, we go to see each other and hang out, some are just going for the show or have done work they feel they need recognition for (we all do) it's just one part of the weekend but it is the main event.
Yeah, but the person who's not going because of the finest five is someone who's been many times before, so they should be going for the same reasons as us.

#54 ·
Here's the revised class changes to something similar to the past.

2000-2004 FOCUS HATCHBACK
2000-2004 FOCUS SEDAN / WAGON
2005-2007 FOCUS HATCHBACK
2005-2007 FOCUS SEDAN / WAGON
2008-2011 FOCUS ALL
2002-2004 FOCUS SVT
2012+ FOCUS
2013+ FOCUS ST
FIESTA

Finest Five of Focus Rising

Best Female Owned
Engine Bay
Exterior
Interior
Wheels
OEM+
ICE
Beater
Boost
Stance
Game Changer
Longest Distance Driven

No Conversion or Race Prepped. Too small of categories.

#55 ·
I think this is a big improvement on what we had, there is only a handful more than before aside from finest five and still trimmed some of the extra like theme, race prepped and conversion.

If trim beater or ICE we could add back the attendee pick award if it's wanted or ladies pick. Curious what anybody else thinks

#56 ·
Either way I don't care. It kinda pissed me off that someone doesn't wanna come unless we added the finest five. Don't tell me who either because I'll flip them off and express my disgust for them not wanting to come simply because of awards.

-Matt

#58 ·
That's a fair assessment and it is a class the majority of shows recognize. I know you like the idea of the pick awards so was just a thought

Matt I understand your frustration, personally I could care less about finest five but it is also something which sets us apart and recognizes those top cars of the event. It is something which we should all be striving for going forward not just best of boost or stance for instance.

It is better to make adjustment now than it is to have people get upset. It wouldn't be a bad idea to send a survey out to attendees via email after the event for feedback anonymously on awards, schedule, quality of event, lodging and suggestions. That way the people who want to complain and say their piece can do so without thinking they will be centred out or anything like that. Just a thought and that way we can see what everyone likes and doesn't like for the next year too long ahead of schedule.

#59 ·
The pics awards were added in to give our attendees a feeling that their vote mattered. When voting on Carlisle awards, it's just one of many that might not be a Focus owner. Ours would be just Focus owners that know the cars voting.

However, distributing the voting slips and then maintaining them would be a challenge with all the other things going on. That's one reason I took them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.