Ford Focus Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Making some head way. Charge pipes are dabbed, just need welded. Fuel system is installed, wired, and plumbed. Redone the downpipe. All the gauges are installed and just need the dimmer wire wired in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey bro,

Nice to see your project still coming along. I just wanted to jump back in to ask if you degree'd or at least measured your cams/lift to because of your vct elimination. I finally got around to fixing mine. Because the range of the VCT is something like 0-45/50 degrees advance (crank degrees) you need to advance the intake by the same amount or so depending where you want it. I can tell you that if you leave it at default with just the bar you will make peak torque near redline lol. And max advance on my adj gear only got it halfway hence why I needed to fix it more.. but anyway.. I fixed it by just advancing the sprocket/cam 3 teeth and then using the adj cam gear to fine tune. idk what is better 2 teeth and more advance with the adj gear or what I did and 3 teeth and retard with the adj gear. And if you are doing measurement with a dial indicator on cam followers be sure to factor in the angle you take your measurement at. Anything over 10 degrees needs correction which is just about any position you can manage to get a dial indicator set up. There is just no room to get a good vertical reading and the valves are already at an angle so its a little tricky. Google cosine error to learn more about it. It will make a big difference to what you set your motor at. Ex. for our turbo cams 0.1043305" of lift at TDC intake would read 0.1564" on the indicator so if you just go by the gauge reading your cam will still be retarded a bit.

Just thought I'd share this piece of information before you get it all started up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also forgot to add that it'll be lopey as fk which will need tuning and getting used to if you choose to keep it that way. I might try to reduce the overlap from spec to smooth the idle some. But as of now I'm gonna try see if I can adjust the fueling and ignition to make stop and go driving a little more do-able.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Man i read that when I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't figure out where it went to reread it when I was coherent. I appreciate that as mine are set just with the bar

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hahaha yeah I know that was a lot of info to take in. especially if you're half awake! But yeah the lopey idle will sound cool but comes with all the negative side effects of low vac which I wanted to reduce as much as possible for driveability reasons. It would probably run awesome that way but idk. need to get it back on the dyno to find out. You may be able to go two teeth instead of three on the gear and work some advance in if needed. I dialed mine back 11 degrees till I can tune it better. Did not recheck the lift @ tdc at this setting so theres no reference to share but I assume thats still like 25-30 degrees or so advanced from "bar"

21 - 28 of 28 Posts