Ford Focus Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
However, I don't want the judging award points based on mods alone. A V8 swap could earn you good points but if it's done ****ty, you could immediately lose those points based on the quality of the install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
Not exactly sure what the cutting some slack is referring to, but this is all in fun.

If the wheel/suspension judge is going to look at pinch welds, it should be the same as the fender liners. If you can't see it then it can't hurt or help you. I can see that being the issue for your car Matt since it's so low to the ground that the pinch welds might not be visible.

I know you were joking, I was too. Yes, I recall last year my pinch welds literally being in the ground. I like the not hurting or helping thing.

We definitely need to clarify cleanliness to everyone too just like every year.

I like the idea of starting with a base amount of points and adding or subtracting from that based on a stock new car.

In my opinion I think there are certain mods or components of a car which should be valued at more points. Things like a wire tuck, tranny swap (auto to manual), conversions, air, and big power adders should have a higher value than say just minor bolt ons. Basing upon how difficult that is to do and complete properly.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea either to put up a template for a mod sheet just to encourage more display for each car. I know there are not many who bring a display board which I am one who never does aside from a basic mods list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I strongly agree on the bold part not because my car falls into that category, but because I know how much god damn work most of that is. I have a new respect for wire tucks as I know how much of a pain in the ass it is cutting and extending wired that make the car function because there is a good chance you're going to have to redo it 2+ times because of bad connections.

Displays are my gray area. I know they're "expensive" for a good one and you have to keep updating them.

-Matt

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Up until last year my display cost less than $20 to make. I would create something on my PC and then take it to Kinkos where they would blow it up and print on a foam board. $20 or less for that. If we're going to reward people for hard work and effort put into swaps and other large mods, they should document that for people to know.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
From doing Taylor's car and all the stuff on there, even my own car with some of the components I have done and am doing right now. In addition, your svt conversion and air set up was all very involved in both time and money despite getting a good deal on hard parts.

These things are such an undertaking and require a lot of time, skill and even more money if you can't do it your self. They need to be worth the effort and time put in (aslong as it is done properly, not seeing cut wires in the bay or not properly insulated or wrapped harnesses etc...) we all know what doing it right involves and how the car shows itself presents that and how much attention they paid while doing the work.

For instance the camo dipped zx3 with svt swap, was a chopped up and cobbled together. It didn't even have the proper sized bolts holding the clutch master cylinder to the pedal assembly and only had one mis sized screw in it which was why we had to help him at h2o. Stuff like that (if you can see the lack of attention to detail that is visually by looking at engine bay, interior or suspension pieces)

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Jason- I did not know it could be done that easily or cheaply.

Jamie- Exactly. That car was a mess. It's almost as if he dipped it to distract from the mess the car really was.

-Matt
Yup. Now you know why I like them so much. I would love to have people walk through the Focus section and see each car have a board that talks about it.

Jamie, What you mention with Stu's car is exactly what I mean. If a swap or a large mod is done poorly, then any points earned from the mod would be lost once again by the execution.

Ex: +5 for swap, -5 for messy wire routing, low quality fasteners, not oem appearing.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Until recently I found out I am adhd and as such never paid attention to detail and didn't take on big things. This year is like house cleaning for me redoing everything I didn't do 100% and correcting the boredom mods LOL

There are quite a few nicely put together cars, but there are also a few which present relatively well but are complete hack jobs I have been noticing even more these days

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
As far as classes go for our own awards, I did some reading earlier in this thread but didn't see it all decided upon.

One thing I didn't see last year was a game changer award. One we might want to consider that many shows have is best female focus/fiesta since we have more women coming and it will give them a chance to not have to play with the boys for one category

As I stated before Jason, us members at focuscanada would like to do a fc.net forum pick also.

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
Ya, game changer was not there last year. I was sure going for it last year and is a good award because some people's car change almost in every way from one year to the next. How do you get vote for the awards like Best In Stance and Best Engine Bay and what not? Is is based off their suspension/engine mods and what they scored in those respective categories or what?

-Matt

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Forum pick was already mentioned. I can't remember in here or the other thread.

As for deciding awards outside the normal class awards, I feel the judges should all collaborate and decide instead of just going off points. If we do a best ICE, you can't really take the interior score and go on that since it is for more than just the stereo.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Game changer was an award everyone wanted because it showed how much of an improvement they actually did make. I'd like to see it this year for the reason that there are a lot of people stepping up their game

I am curious on the best of awards too what criteria is used for determining or is it judges choice on the car based on the category and how they judge the car vs others that would be a candidate

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
If we do a Legacy award we must also do a Newbie award. I don't want FR to celebrate only returning attendees, and that's what Legacy and Game Changer do. I also want to celebrate the new guys, giving them a reason to come.

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
I got the legacy award my first year Jason.. Pity award? haha JK. I'm down for the newbie award, but suggest a different name such as first year attendee or something. Newbie just makes it sound childish almost in my opinion.

-Matt

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yeah, it was a name I just tossed for explanation not use.

Legacy award in the first year seems odd to me. That's not really what a "legacy" is.

Legacy awards would go to someone like Jeremy or Corey or Rachel for example.

·
King wheel-whore. BOW before me!
4,743 Posts
Back on scoring, what happened to the sheet I sent you last year that we had been using for years that Bill's (viney266) wife Carol made?

That was one we used to base all the cars judging off of for all the years starting in 2010 and never until this past year did anyone complain.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Back on scoring, what happened to the sheet I sent you last year that we had been using for years that Bill's (viney266) wife Carol made?

That was one we used to base all the cars judging off of for all the years starting in 2010 and never until this past year did anyone complain.
It's probably on the hard drive of my dead laptop. lol

61 - 80 of 107 Posts