Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Recaros for Corbeaus and Boyds!
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

How's your winter builds going??

So after I blew my engine up and took it all apart I found that my clutch was basically gone. I had a Clutchmasters Stage 4 and it lasted about 7K miles... Thinking it was a fault, I found out that's pretty normal according to a few people? I'm not real sure.

But now that I'm going for more power, I want a clutch that will handle it all and last for longer than that... Is it possible? What options do I have??

Any help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
^ this. It takes awhile to get used to the stiff engagement though.
You can beat on it and it will just keep asking for more.
Great clutch.

·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even with racing it and not daily driving, but a lot of street driven miles?

i don't mind the stiffness... My civic had a unsprung clutch in it, haha... That was a B*tch.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Exedy for sure.

Hyper Single without a doubt.

I have a hard time trusting any other clutch company.

- Drew

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
i still have my concerns after all the trouble i had with my hyper single snapping clutch master cylinder shafts like twigs every 2 weeks. It may be an isolated situation as me and the dude i got it off both had the same issue and no one else :rant:

i did like the engagement of the clutch and it gripped like no tomorrow thats for sure, i never once felt it slip but it does take some getting use to for stop n go driving.... that sucks

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I thought the hyper single was easier to modulate over the stage 2 exedy I had. Heavy pedal yes, but still seemed lighter and less sensitive. Stage 2 clutch was giving out around 290wtrq. I did buy it used however. I vote for hyper single even with its steep price. Peace of mind is worth it alone.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The hyper single is rated to 375wtq. The stage 4 hyper twin is rated to 615wtq.

·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm.. I wonder how much torque I'm actually going to make... I don't want to end up buying the Hyper single and it not being enough.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Well, my highest state of tune was 404whp/366wtq at 21psi and the consensus in the shop was detuning the car slightly was more streetable. I am very happy at ~370whp/~300wtq at 16psi; the car is pretty insane at that power level.
Exceeding 375wtq in a fwd street car is just unnecessary. I believe they detuned their '09 race car from 20psi as well to reduce wheelspin in 3rd gear on track :eek:
That set up is very similar to mine.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
You won't make more than 375wtq on a 2871 with your 2.0.

Hyper single and you're all set.

- Drew

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
My earlier post was based on manufacturer data from their tech spec page. However, this recent you tube video from Exedy claims a max wtq figure of 450:

Maybe Randy or Vik can chime in on this specific application and its actual wtq limit.

·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I was talking to Jamie last night and he said the same thing... It'd be a push for me to hit 375.. I was just being cautious I guess, haha. I also don't want the same thing that happened to my CM4 happen to my new clutch.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Yeah I was talking to Jamie last night and he said the same thing... It'd be a push for me to hit 375.. I was just being cautious I guess, haha. I also don't want the same thing that happened to my CM4 happen to my new clutch.
What happened to your CM is not from power production. It was probably just junk.

I go through more transmission hard parts than any other focus owner. Ask anyone. I haven't had a single issue with the 3 Exedy clutch systems I've used. Over A LOT of miles as well.

- Drew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts