Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my car is at 170,000 miles +
these reading are an average of 3 per cylinder.

cyl. 1 182.5psi
cyl. 2 183 psi
cyl. 3 191.6 psi
cyl 4 185.6 psi

let me know what you think of these numbers. are they a bit high?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
They look great. High numbers, and less than 5% difference at the most. Have you shaved the head?

I can't remember what the numbers were right now, but mine were quite a bit lower than that. I used a pretty old guage, and maybe leaky, for the test though. At least they were all close, too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no shaved head..
it's all still original from factory with 170,000 miles.

read somewheres that high compression could be result of carbon build up.

see i'm really wanting to put the lentech or valve body in my auto trans.
and checking engine health to justify putting more money into the car.

well anyway,,
I don't have a leak tester. So did another test with the oil and compression went up to 200psi. in #1 and 2 cyl. stayed in the 190's for 3 and 4.
not sure if this means anything. being that the compression was already in the 180's Oh and I am glad I read somewhere to idle car for several minutes before driving to burn this oil out.

O,, let me show photo of plug,, while they are out. I think they looked good too. they have 12,000 miles on em. http://forums.focaljet.com/6557611-post61.html or maybe a little hot,,, hmm?

thanks for your input G- forces

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
You are right about carbon build-up raising pressure.

The increase with oil is due to ring wear, but the amount of increase in 1 & 2 isn't so bad. You've got 170K miles.

I can't see the picture, but maybe you didn't post it yet? What color are they, best is a thin brownish coating for an older engine, thick black is oil burning.

Try running it fast with a tank of higher octane gas, and a bottle of combustion chamber cleaner, if you don't want to take the head off. But if you took the head off to clean it and regrind the valves, it would work better. Right now with regular gas, your ECM could be backing timing when you accelerate. That will leave more deposits, and eventually lead to cooking some number of exhaust valves, if it retards allot and you run it at high rpms allot.

Edit: The link appeared after I posted, it looks good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2001 Zetec DOHC engine and my compression numbers are...
1-200
2-200
3-190
4-190

Numbers are high but is that 10 difference bad?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts