Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 focus 2.3 engine. Car run great the only issue is the dashboard brake light is flashing randomly. This driving me crazy & i need some ideas. I just change the front ,back brakes & bled them. Check the the fluid & it's all the way to the max. The handbrake switch is good. I also check the sensor at the resevoir & it's good because when i unplug it. It still flashes. I also unplug the handbrake switch & it still flashes. I even adjusted the handbrake. Any ideas will be appreciated. So, just give me your feedback.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Per Ford's shop manual: "The brake warning indicator is controlled by multiple inputs and illuminates under multiple conditions. The instrument cluster is hardwired to the parking brake switch and illuminates when the parking brake is set. The instrument cluster is also hardwired to the brake fluid level switch and illuminates when the brake fluid level is low. Finally, the instrument cluster is hardwired to the ABS module, which commands the brake warning indicator on when a base brake system concern or ABS concern exists."

A good next step may be to have the ABS module checked for diagnostic trouble codes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My abs is working good because when i step on the brake hard i can field the abs kicking in. Also,i change the parking brake switch and the light goes on & off less frequent. I will test for a ground. Anyway, where is the abs module & how can i test it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I find it strange that in your first post you mentioned "I also unplug the handbrake switch & it still flashes" yet in your last post you said replacing the switch resulted in the light flashing less frequently.

Can you still feel the ABS system functioning when the brake lamp is flashing?

As for testing the ABS module, this is done through the OBD-2 DLC (Data Link Connector) and you will need the appropriate diagnostic tester/software to check for codes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Mr Jeepsbeme abs still work with the dashboard brake light flashing. As a matter of fact the brakes work great the only problem is the flashing brake light. Maybe your are right I should get an abs/airbag scan tool. I have check the wiring on the dashboard & most of the contact look & tested good. I also reset the brake light because now the handbrake switch is recognzed by the brake light because it was not before. I am also a street mechanic & have some knowledge on wiring. So please give all the information you can & i will try it. Your information is well appreciated.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The fact that your ABS system functions even when the lamp is flashing throws me. I would tend to suspect this means the problem is not ABS related. I do have a decent understanding of how the ABS system (and other systems) works on the Focus, however I'm not an expert. For that reason I won't make guesses as to possible causes. I'll have to defer to the others here who may be more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. Hopefully the additional details you provided may help someone else on this site help you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even-though the brake reservoir sensor tested good i decided to get a new one. The new brake reservoir had a shorter shaft, which at first made me think, but i said well i already brought it, so use it. I install the sensor & reset the brake. By reset i mean, you put the key in the ignition in the on position. Don't start the car. With the car on the on position you step on the brake pedal, so that your car can learn the new sensor. From there on the flashing brake light has not appear at all. It was the sensor all the time. So, tomorrow if the brake light doesn't go on then i call it a fix. Write back tomorrow & have a good day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back today & no more brake light flashing at all. Like i said before it was the master cylinder sensor. Anyway, it's good new for me because now no more light. Before i sign off i which to thank Mr Jeepsbeme for his responds, & if anyone has a problem with PO340 code ask the question & i know that i can be of assistance. Thank you very much & Have a great day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brake light back on & this time i decided to play with the wires next to the brake pedal switch. As i move the wires on the brake switch the brake light would blink. So, i decided buy a new switch price 12.00 at auto zone. Which is not expensive at all. After ,that i took the instruction cluster out of the dashboard & open it up. I took it apart & check out the board. Two of the screws were loose. I tighten them & put it back together. This time i disconnected the battery & the fuse box next to the battery. I left it disconnect for around 30 minutes. One day & half later the light has not come back on. I think it was the 2 loose screws on the dashboard cluster, but this time i hope it works. I will info you guys again in two day. Thank & have a great day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two days later, & no more brake light going on & off. Well the last thing i did must have solved my problem. So, now i have a way better understanding of the dashboard brake light. Thanks a lot for your responds & have a great day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts