Ford Focus Forum banner

941 - 960 of 989 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Hocky, if I recall, the Bad Boy uses more of a road gearing than MTB gearing, right? Maybe kinda in between?

Steve, thanks! It's been fun so far. Without my son on it, it actually feels rather normal to ride- aside from a split second difference when riding off a curb, perhaps. But we put a ton of groceries on it yesterday and my son, and it was nice and steady.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
Hocky, if I recall, the Bad Boy uses more of a road gearing than MTB gearing, right? Maybe kinda in between?

Steve, thanks! It's been fun so far. Without my son on it, it actually feels rather normal to ride- aside from a split second difference when riding off a curb, perhaps. But we put a ton of groceries on it yesterday and my son, and it was nice and steady.
It is in between. I think the big ring is a 46 or 48t?

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
My mtb big ring is 39t, so it is quite an improvement. haha. Realistically, I can pedal to ~26mph on a 39t, so I think a 48t should provide plenty for the road if I want to try to push.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I don't consistently carry any type of speedometer or GPS and never really tried to see what my top speed is but I do know my average cruising speed on level ground is between 16-20mph and more likely towards to 20mph range because when I did have an app to track speed and distance my average came in at 16.5 over 38 miles and we had a few slow downs for traffic and traffic crossings.

Edit- Almost forgot, half that 38 miles was on a paved trail and half was on crushed limestone so yeah, my true average on level ground is well above 16.5 mph on pavement.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I don't think there is one here, personally I think it's a joke.

Virtually (probably) the whole peloton was doping (and probably well down the rider list) at that time and they know it but they only go after Armstrong.

I love their solution of not awarding the win to anyone which means they don't have to filter through the rest of the riders with the dim hope of finding a clean rider to hand the yellow jersey to.

-Steve

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
But from the myriad of riders talking on news outlets "the sport" today is the cleanest of any sport..

Yeah right!

Ohh!

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
He cheated..simple. And before you wade in that thet all did..many were caught and hung their head in shame. LA didn't.
One way of looking at it is that he was the best rider of the doping era, that or he was the best at doping, whatever. The whole thing just stinks.

Drugs and cycling are nothing new, it's just that they've moved away from amphetamines and on to blood enhancers. :rolleyes:

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
One way of looking at it is that he was the best rider of the doping era, that or he was the best at doping, whatever. The whole thing just stinks.

Drugs and cycling are nothing new, it's just that they've moved away from amphetamines and on to blood enhancers. :rolleyes:
So would you say that the sport has finally turned a corner? As it were. I don't cycle myself but I book holidays off work just to witness the hardest sport on earth.

I see that Wiggins is gonna support Fromme, as this years tour looks brutal.

We are going up this nightmare...TWICE!

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I actually don't pay close attention to it, I'd like to but I just don't have time. Just like I don't have time to really follow WRC, F1 or NHRA.

If I have a chunk of spare time it's pretty easy to fill and if the weather is decent it usually involves riding.

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
I actually don't pay close attention to it, I'd like to but I just don't have time. Just like I don't have time to really follow WRC, F1 or NHRA.

If I have a chunk of spare time it's pretty easy to fill and if the weather is decent it usually involves riding.
Doesn't American television have a highlights programme...seems strange as US postal and reams of American riders have been promident over the last 10 years or so.

:dunno::what:

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Doesn't American television have a highlights programme...seems strange as US postal and reams of American riders have been promident over the last 10 years or so.

:dunno::what:
Not that I've seen, I really don't watch a lot of television and when I do it tends to be history/military type stuff and our news channels here barely mention any form of racing.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Last night I was heading out to drop my daughter off at a friends for trick or treating and almost had a nasty accident with a cyclist.

It was well after dusk and nearly full dark, I pulled up to a stop sign at an unlit intersection, I looked left and saw nothing, looked right and it was clear, looked left again to make sure it was clear again and just as I start to swivel my head to the left a cyclist flies past the front of my car.

This guy was riding a black bike, wearing black gear and had NO LIGHTS.

Seriously, if you know you'll be out near dusk or after dark please use a tiny bit of common sense and wear hi-vis colors and/or get lights.

If the guy had had a strobe I'd have seen him a mile off, as it was he was basically invisible.

He didn't even have the common sense to know I couldn't see him, he's very, very lucky I didn't pull out. If I'd been at that intersection just a couple seconds sooner he would have been in a world of hurt.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
There's a tinfoil-hat segment of bicyclists that believe in their heart of hearts that every single motorist in the world has their bike in their crosshairs, and that if they can be seen, they are going to be run over intentionally. We call these creatures "bike ninjas" and they're closely related to "bike salmon," those who are hell-bent on riding in the gutter against the flow of traffic.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I prefer to call them imbeciles :)

If he'd hit my car I'd have called the police and made him sit and wait so I could file a complaint, that's assuming we weren't also waiting for an ambulance to haul him away.

941 - 960 of 989 Posts