Ford Focus Forum banner

Focus Meet-Cookout

598 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  northcackcruiser 
#1 ·
I've been talking with some other locals and think it'd be a great idea to start getting semi-monthly meet going. Some have mentioned having one in September sometime, most likely on a weekend to help avoid problems with classes and work. No official dates have been thrown out yet, although I was thinking possibly September 14th, 15th, 28th, or 29th. Let me know if any of these days works well with everyone, hopefully it would be enough time to ask off if needed.

The idea of having a cookout has also been thrown around so I decided to look into a nice shelter to grill and relax at. I'm trying to keep it in a central area in the state so it isn't bias to one side. I've also found out it'll be best to rent a shelter instead of hoping for one to be open in a park somewhere. This would guarantee us a shelter and keep anyone from driving a long distance and getting upset. So far I was able to come up with 3 possible solutions:

1) Possibly the most reasonable and best choice out of the 3. Lake Lucas Park, 3158 Old Lexington Road, Asheboro, NC. They have one shelter that is available for rent. It's $40 for the whole day, or $20 for half a day. If we choose half a day we could choose either the 10:00AM-3:00PM slot or the 3:30PM-Dark slot. It includes 2 grills, 8 picnic tables, and seating up to 50 so it'll be plenty big enough. Also has plenty of parking depending on the number of people who will attend.

2) A little farther North is the Greensboro Country Park, 3905 Nathanael Green Dr, Greensboro, NC. This park is much larger, and has up to 9 shelters that can be rented. Prices are more expensive being in the city and a larger park and vary between shelters. Looking at Shelter #9 since it seems to have it's own parking area that's fairly large. It's among their cheapest shelters at $60 for the whole day, includes 1 small grill and can seat up to 25 people.

3) Then there is Hester Park, 3615 Deutzia St, Greensboro, NC. They have 7 shelters that can be rented. The cheapest shelter they have is $53 for the whole day, that's with 1 small grill and seating up to 35. I'm not sure about how parking would be either so that may or may not be an issue.

I have yet to really look into either of these possibilities to see if any of the shelters are even available. The two in Greensboro can be reserved over the phone, however the shelter in Asheboro will need to be reserved in person. I'm personally a fan of either the Lake Lucas shelter or the Country Park shelter, although I'd like for everyone to express their opinion also. It would probably be best to have this confirmed asap so I can go ahead and reserve a place. I'll need an approximate number of people that will be there also.

I know I'll go ahead and ask off work tomorrow. If you're able to, try to make it to this event! I'm hoping it'll be a good turnout! Help spread the word too for the people that don't see this thread!

-Joey

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey guys!

Im down in Myrtle Beach. Just let me know when and where! #1 is about 3 hours from me, so not bad.

I will say I've been camping in the mountains by asheville and there is some good driving/cruising roads out that way, a bit further i know.

Cheers,

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.