Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our caravan this year will start at the same location as the past few years. There is a small amount of backtracking to the starting point, but this location gives us plenty of room without bothering anyone while we line up. We are still one of the only groups that does a caravan to the showfield each year, and it's usually a high point for most people's weekend!

Here is the map of our point of departure in relation to the official hotel: http://goo.gl/maps/PiyCn

We will leave at 6:45am Saturday morning and drive through town via this route to get to the showfield: http://goo.gl/maps/utrWD

The plan this year is to get as many people to video the caravan as possible. If you have a GoPro or other camera, please bring it! We would like to have car shots and video from the side of the road as well.

There are a few rules:

1) Stay close in the caravan, but at a safe distance
2) The lead car will drive through town slowly at 25mph
3) DO NOT run red lights. We still must follow all rules of the road. If the caravan gets split up by a stoplight, the 25mph speed limit will allow the stopped portion to catch back up.
4) We are representing the Focus community and Focus Rising. Remember that when in the caravan.

Lined up ready to leave during the 2013 Focus Rising caravan:

·
Registered
991 Posts
An idea that has helped me multiple times on group runs/mountain caravans: 2-way Motorola radios. Even if yours is a different model, you can usually still hear the chatter to stay informed... those guys will also come in super-handy for the Sunday cruise.

Here's the map I've made for myself from a few years ago, too:

·
Registered
991 Posts
*Just a thought*

I'd like to get up near the front of the caravan OR head straight to the gates and get the caravan rolling up with my GoPro... that'd be some pretty awesome footage!

I should already have my Gate 'N' Go pass, so I could also meet there in the morning and leave the rendezvous lot 5-10 minutes early to go get set up... then get my rolling footage after we've all cleared the front gates. I'm just in it for the footage!

What'chu guys think?!

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
That is possible, but we'd have to probably talk to the staff/Ken about that as I do not think they would allow you to sit at the gates and wait for us. However, you could go early, park and walk back to the entrance to get some footage. If you are willing to do some camera work there are a few of us who are not in the caravan so that we can get footage.

-Matt

·
Registered
991 Posts
... I do not think they would allow you to sit at the gates and wait for us.
-Matt
I ended up by the gate for forty minutes last year (helping new members get their stuff setup) and managed to not be in the staff's/attendee's way; and only my camera and shoes would be "parked" at the gates waiting for you all. If the caravan leaves at the same or similar time as it has the last few years I can vector over there without leering for an hour and making things uncomfortable.

I already have a plan set up. I'll get in touch with any party interested in assisting. Thanks guys.
I still don't know many of you guys well enough to be a part of your plan, which is why I film for myself & my friends. We did an open-source video project with the stuff from our first mountain run. Separate server and all. I'll gladly share my cell (in a PM, of course) and any footage I gather with your party of camera-peeps later, btw.

At any rate: I'll see you lot @ McNew's that Friday and near the Stone House the morning of the 7th!

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
That's why you wash the evening before and detail on the showfield. Fool. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
It rained sometime between 3am and 5am last year lol.

-Matt

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you don't drive, it's no big deal. Driving on wet roads is really what gets a car dirty by slinging up all the road grime. Typically a little rainfall will just get the car wet and that can easily be dried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts