Where is my @#$ antenna?!
IGN will be rolling this out over the course of the week, with gameplay footage on Friday. I'll update this thread as new info is released.
Announced so far:
Two versions of the game made under different studios. Playground Games is handling the Xbox One version, which is based off the FM5 engine.
-The Xbox One version
It will use Drivatars, your drivatar from FM5 will be transferable to Horizon 2. Like the first game, time of day is dynamic. New to the Forza franchise will be weather effects. The game is set in northern Italy and southern France, including the coastline. Not announced yet is whether all the paint and tuning in FM5 is transferable.
In the second IGN article, the lighting engine is discussed. It appears they have created an artificial atmosphere. If the atmosphere effect is removed you see only a starfield. Have no idea how it works but it sounds interesting, and the images shown so far look much improved even over Forza 5. Also mentioned is the removal of roadside barriers. If there wouldn't be a barrier there on a real road, it's not there in the game. Want to go charging through that giant field? Go nuts.
As far as visuals are concerned, if the game looks anything like the shots from IGN, I'm guessing 30fps just like the first Horizon (it's confirmed 1080p/30fps locked), we'll see on Friday.
- World map is three times the size of the map in Horizon, with no barriers keeping you from leaving the roads.
- Barn finds return, and will feature cars that are new to the Forza franchise.
- Showcase events are returning from Horizon, only more advanced. Racing multiple planes, racing a steam train,
- Confirmed 1080p and locked 30FPS
- 700 events and over 100 hours to complete all events
- Cross Country Races: pick route to a GPS location and drive any way from point A to point B, roads not required.
- Bucket List: list of challenges (leaves cars around the map) The bucket list will be updated post launch.
- Weather System implemented & return of night racing
- Skill system overhauled now earns you XP and will be linked to the new Perk system (first perk allows you to earn XP from banking Skills in free-roam) Skill system is similar to the Kudos system used in the PGR franchise. Each of the perks gives you an advantage, enhances your gameplay in some area of the game.
- Location: South of France and parts of Northern Italy
- No invisible walls or needless barriers. Parking lots, fields, ditches are all accessible.
- New lighting engine simulates the way that light interacts with particles in the atmosphere. Dynamic headlights also affected by surroundings (reflection off chrome for instance)
- Accurate model of stars in the sky
- Instant switch between online and off-line play. Camera pans out and all of the NPC traffic, time of day and weather switches to the server and will be synced for all players on the fly. Doing this does not negate anything you've been working towards in single player.
- Online races and free roam earn you XP and allow you to level up.
- Introduction of car meets. Meet up with other players to swap pant jobs, tunes and even cars.
- Clubs over hauled: can now have 1000 members
- Drivatars are confirmed. FM5 drivatar training carries into Horizon 2. Drivatars will leave the roads and learn to take the same shortcuts you do.
-Xbox 360 version
It is being made by Sumo Digital. They worked previously on Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed, which was phenominal. This version will be based on the original Horizon engine, nothing has been said about weather effects, or what differences there will be between the two versions of the game.
There are some shots in the following article that show off the water effect on the cars, some of the atmospheric lighting is discussed in the article.