Ford Focus Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I got it from a shop that does alot of aluminum, I got a good deal because a friend's dad owns a steel slitting company down the street and has worked with this shop before. We went in and asked what they had in scrap. so i paid 75$ for the 3x6' sheet, but like i said i changed up my idea a little and could have probably got 2'x6'

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
I got it from a shop that does alot of aluminum, I got a good deal because a friend's dad owns a steel slitting company down the street and has worked with this shop before. We went in and asked what they had in scrap. so i paid 75$ for the 3x6' sheet, but like i said i changed up my idea a little and could have probably got 2'x6'

100% worth the $75. That's pretty cheap really.

But ya, 3/16" is damn thick.
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/sheetmetal.html

You can see by that that my steel is twice as thin.

http://www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm

I'm about 3#/ft^2.
Ballpark, you'll be near that with 3'16" AL.

You can easily get by with 1/16". It feeling flimsy will be taken care of once it's affixed to the car. Bolting it down will add strength. If you need more rigidity, find someone with a bead roller and/or seam the edges of the sheet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah in hindsite, i would have gone 1/8" with a 6061 or 7xxx series aluminum. Im in the chicagoland area, so rust is an issue thats why I didnt want steel. Going 1/16 and getting it rolled would be a great idea. I didnt really do much research; I'm just winging it really. Im not what everyone thinks of this idea, but once I finish this one and see how it all fits and what not, I am willing to make more for those that want one.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yeah in hindsite, i would have gone 1/8" with a 6061 or 7xxx series aluminum. Im in the chicagoland area, so rust is an issue thats why I didnt want steel. Going 1/16 and getting it rolled would be a great idea. I didnt really do much research; I'm just winging it really. Im not what everyone thinks of this idea, but once I finish this one and see how it all fits and what not, I am willing to make more for those that want one.
Depending how it looks may be interested

21 - 31 of 31 Posts